Oaths and Prayers of the House of the Morning
farglenargle last edited by farglenargle
I was inspired this fair Dawn to make a prayer to holy Lathander, and I feel that, since it felt as though it came through me and not from me, it will not be self-aggrandizement to reproduce that prayer here, in writing, for the edification of those who may join our fold after me.
I likewise encourage my fellows of the House to write prayers, oaths, and the like, in kind, that we may learn new perspectives from one another on the glory of our Morninglord.
[There is a small gap, and then a transcribed prayer, in handwriting more careful but otherwise identical. Ample space is left below that.]
A humble prayer for the promise ever kept
Highest praise be unto You, O Bringer of the Dawn, for how Your Light shines upon this town and all its denizens.
I pray to You that I may be found worthy of the honor of bearing that Light in Your holy name;
that I may bring that Light and compassion to shine where there is darkness and despair;
that I may, in Your name and to uplift Your most sacred wishes, be capable of helping to right the wrongs what beset us and to see cured the taints of the land;
that those in our fold who have been harmed by wicked forces may yet live to see myriad sacred sunrises, and be made whole again.
"In the Dawn, beauty reigns, and the way is clearer." May the promise of that Dawn ever be fulfilled. All this I pray, in the name of the Morninglord.
Oath of the Morninglord, may He find us worthy. This is the way.
• I will protect my allies with my life. They are my light and my strength, as I am their light and their strength. We rise together.
• I will seek out and destroy the filth of the Undeath. If I cannot defeat them, I will give my life trying. If my life would be wasted in the attempt, I will find allies. If any fall because of my inaction, their deaths lie upon my soul, and I will atone for each.
• I am fair to others. I expect nothing for myself but that which I need to survive.
• The best battle is a battle I win. If I die, I can no longer fight. I will fight fairly when the fight is fair, and I will strike quickly and without mercy when it is not.
• I will redeem the ignorant with my words and my actions. If they will not turn toward the light, I will redeem them by burning away the taint.
• I will not abide evil, and will combat it with steel when words are not enough. I do not flinch from my faith, and do not fear embarrassment. My soul cannot be bought for all the stars in the sky.
• I will show the less fortunate the light of the Morning Lord. I will live my life as his mortal instrument, shining with the light of truth.
• Each day is another step toward perfection. I will not turn back into the dark.