Can you loop FNF visual effects, on a creature?

• I'm pretty bad at scripting.

Anyway, was wondering if it was possible to loop a fire and forget (FNF) viausl effect, on a creature. So, once the effect has run, it runs again, and again, and again, until the monsters deaderised.

I haven't really tried, but the ways I think of involve while loopsin on spawn scripts….and that just sounds like TMI error central.

• Moloch did it with his Flaming Corpses. And I know Seth did it on many occasions when he created new monsters, but as to how it should be scripted, I have no clue about.

• Recursive functions FTW. I think CoA's Hold Person works this way, for a concrete reference. Basically, it's a function that calls itself.

Example:

void FlashThisHomie(object oCreature, int nRoundsDuration);

void main()
    {
        object oFlasher = OBJECT_SELF;
        int nLevel = GetHitDice(oFlasher);

FlashThisHomie(oFlasher, nLevel);
    }

void FlashThisHomie(object oCreature, int nRoundsDuration)
    {
        effect eFlashpan = EffectVisualEffect(THE EFFECT);

if(!GetIsDead(oCreature) && nRoundsDuration > 0)
        {        
            ApplyEffectToObject(DURATION_TYPE_TEMPORARY/INSTANT ..., ...);
            nRoundsDuration--;
            DelayCommand(6.0f, FlashThisHomie(oCreature, nRoundsDuration));
        }
    }

Note how the FlashThisHomie function contains a call to itself. It will decrement the number of rounds for which to subsequently fire, then re-apply with the new duration value. This is usually for spells; for an indefinite value the duration parameter is simply removed, and the function just calls itself on a delay each round (or seconds, depending how much the effect lasts).

• Storyteller [DM]

[Flashes this Homie]

• Oh. thanks, yeah, Azzmodan told me about this way of doing it. Cheers for the help though, and maybe someone else will find this useful in the future.