Current Metaplot: Gondegal is a terrible king
Gondegal is an inspiring leader but a lousy ruler. He was able to capitalize on the simmering grudges of many people and galvanize it into action. Now he sits on an uneasy throne, surrounded by people he doesn't really know and scared that others will learn he really has no plan.
Background and Relationships
Using Arabel as his base of operations, Gondegal recruited mercenaries from throughout Cormyr and from what are now known as the Goblin Marches and the Stonelands. In return for military service, Gondegal promised his soldiers any loot they could lay hands on. To his commanders he promised noble titles and land concessions.
Gondegal conducted guerrilla style raids throughout Cormyr and rapidly gained control of most of northern Cormyr. Gondegal's forces carried his banner as far north as the Desertsedge Mountains, east past Wyvernwater to the Vast Swamp (capturing Immersea, Hultail, Thunderstone, and Wheloon), west to farms around Eveningstar (though Eveningstar itself withstood Gondegal's siege), and northeast to Tilver's Gap.
Gondegal was initially able to quickly capture large tracts of land because his mercenary forces were more agile than Cormyr's resident forces, the Purple Dragons, and because Cormyr had been prepared for an attack from outside, not for an enemy within. With much of the military stationed in High Horn at the time, there was considerable difficulty in rapidly assembling enough troops to challenge Gondegal on the field.
- They seek to replace Gondegal with their Crimson Lady, Jastyne Vaylan. While Olaf holds considerable sway in the city he is absent much of the time as commander of the mercenary army. His once friend proving less capable with every passing year, he looks to his family and the loyal cadre of men and women in the Crimson Guard to both protect his daughter and advance her claim while he keeps the Cormyrean Dragons at bay so that she has something to rule.
- A divided house still, the matron has not yet acknowledged which of her grandchildren will be next ruler of Arabel but it will be one of them and before she dies. Just as they did during the revolution, the House of Coin slowly gains influence in the city with growing wealth, privilege and reminding people that old system of noblese oblige was not completely flawed. It was self absorbed rulers in distant Suzail who abandoned them and failed to honor oaths of fealty. Misrim remained true to the people and seeks to unite commoner and noble in forming a true Kingdom, not the rabble remains of a naive revolution.
The Tower of Raubagaush
- Frankly little is known about the mysterious Archmage or the duty of maintaining a great ward. The Tower has been many things since the revolution, showing the best and worst that the pursuit of knowledge brings. Until recently content to remain neutral and maintain the status quo, a more aggressive faction within has rose to prominence, seeing themselves as the only ones able to competently rule. Re-ordered and restructured, the Tower now turns its gaze to the mysteries of untold riches and power of the broken Helmlands.
The Vigilant Sun
- After years of failure they now entrench themselves in the city as the default enforcers of the law. With few allies in Vaylan, Misrim or the Tower, they are bring both stability and uncertainty to a teetering realm.While neither the Confessor or the Eternal have made any move to replace Gondegal, their very existence and oaths are anathema to the rulership of Gondegal. Inevitably they will find themselves at odds with the Masked King.
As a player how can I get involved in this
- Join one of the major factions seeking to replace Gondegal
- 1a. Each faction has (or soon will have) clearly defined goals, agendas, and plots for PCs to push and gain influence for the faction
- 1b. Each faction has a prestige system (being expanded) that allows PCs in the faction to raise the image of the faction via DMless events and generic quests
- Join one of the minor factions and support/oppose the efforts of the major factions
- 2a Each faction has (or soon will have) clearly defined goals, agendas, and plots for PCs to push and gain influence for the faction
- 2b Each faction has a prestige system (being expanded) that allows PCs in the faction to raise the image of the faction via DMless events and generic quests
- For those that don't fancy being part of a faction or find themselves enjoying a concept that does not mesh with any of the factions as a member you can still be part of the action
- 3a. We will be implementing prestige stores outside of the factions where you can turn in prestige tokens for higher quality/thematic loot. Prestige token values will add up and count toward the faction total.
- Player feedback and IC actions.
- 4a.We'll be starting some events around this in the near future
- 4b. There already are some PCs making waves and raising the profile of their factions and personal goals so hook up with them
- 4c. Send the DM team neat ideas for mini events etc...
The various tasks to implement this system have been assigned to the Builders and DM team but are lower priority than what we have deemed criticial (based on player feedback). If you have some ideas or wish to help with this system or anything contact a DM.