The Themes of Chapter 2

• Storyteller [DM]

1. SURROUNDED BY ENEMIES
      1a. The City has finally crowned a ruler as its Monarch, the shadow of war, chaos, and revolution slowly recedes as the darkness of anarchy slowly brings the light of progress upon the denizens of the Country of Arabel, as the toddler stands on its own feet among the ancient nations that surround it, leering hungrily upon the young, soft meat of the prey. Protected, only if only, by the fact the others will pounce upon the other should they make a move.
      1b. Each Nation has their puppet, Misrim is supported by Sembia, Vaylan by the elves of Cormanthor, and Cormyr stretches its fingers through the Ghosts of Matrim Kingsley (Note: Working relation) and each attempt to influence the ideals, behavior, and philosophy of the nation through their puppets.
      1c. Misrim espouses the need for greater mercantile opportunity, demanding outside investment in the insular nation to grow and prosper- of course, all such investments need the souless mark of the Sembian coin.
      1d. Vaylan looks to the elves and the free-spirited and 'enlightened' rule of the moon elves as a role model, forced to accommodate the more morally dubious ideals of mankind than the inner goodness of the Seldarine's children.
      1e. The Ghosts of Cormyr seek to restore the righteous model of the absolute monarch, or at least, a feudal rule where peasants answer to nobles, and nobles to kings.

2. A DESPOTIC RULER
      2a. Jastyne, should she crown herself queen, would become increasingly unstable and paranoid, falling prey to the curse Gondegal suffered from as she lashes out in her nightly terrors of betrayal, and distance herself from once close advisors, doubting their motives and needs. House Vaylan struggles to control the erstwhile woman whose physical prowess is enough to suppress even crowds of individuals. The Retainers of the House must constantly cover and explain the actions of their now Queen as she descends into madness, and must curb her excesses and guide the woman to believe that the shadows she sees in her mirror behind her are merely imaginary- or Misrim knives.
      2b. Should Obyn Become King, the city is ruled by a competent Tyrant whose ideals and motives are clear cut and obvious. He desires power, and anyone who stands against the bloody monarch will suffer for the temerity of opposing the now King. Retainers will enforce his edicts, decrees, and undermine his enemies in the shadows. Terror grips Arabel, and Bane, the Lord of Tyrants, smiles in his grave.
      2c. Should Islyn rule, she would rule with a weak, but well-meaning hand, unable to manage the various assets of the House, she increasingly relies on her stewards and retainers to guide her decisions, and often, the last voice who speaks has their way. Birger begins to enjoy the taste of power, and the strings that control Islyn become numerous as she becomes a prisoner of her own House, unable to break free of the web of lies and entitlements that keep her hamstrung. She becomes a doll dressed by the ambitions of her House.
      2d. Should Matrim Kingsley become King, Cormyr rejoices to the south, and indeed, the borders open and trade lanes open, but a shocked King Azoun realizes his bastard son has no intention of presenting the fledgling, rebellious nation upon a plate to the Purple Dragon's throne, and rules with a firm, but stoic hand. Expunging the influence of Sembia and Cormanthor to his nation, and often inciting bold, reckless conflict in Arabel as his hand no doubt will inspire a Civil War in the city as old revolutionaries rally under the Banner of a Dead Masked King, and Vaylan/Misrim set aside differences to curb his power, by force of arms if necessary.

3. THE LIGHT OF THE PAST, THE SHADOW REBELS
      3a. Tethgard is unveiled in the Hullack, and the treacherous city of mists and portals becomes open to exploration- what lies in ancient ruins to be discovered?
      3b. The Temple of Ten Thousand Faces rises in the Stonelands in response to Tethgard's discovery, crumbling rock and rubble is removed by ancient magics as character's millenia old seek to once more touch the fabric of destiny and control the fates of men.
      3c. The Helmland's slowly settle under the control of the Beholder Hive as the Hive Mother spawns countless creatures to finally seize the Corpse of Mystra for herself, and a monstrous realm of insanity pervades the north. The Ruler must assemble their forces to confront the threat.
      3d. Insert Underdark Related Beholder Plot.

IDEAS?

• Storyteller [DM]

I will comment further at a later date. But I figure that for now we've had enough of war/rebellion plotlines.

• Admin [DM]

Yep. I am done with trying to push the horde stuff. Wrap it up the sooner the better imo.

• Havent read it yet. Will get back to you. However, I'm 90% sure it'll be ace, and I'll have some very minor quibble with it. So assume that for now 🙂

• Storyteller [DM]

We need a source of conflict, otherwise there's no story. I'll wait to see what folks have in mind.

• Admin [DM]

Ouroboros Dreams

• Strange dreams plagues the land, with many fearing that the true loss of Raubagaush has begun to take effect. Arcanists and spellcasters are treated with wary eyes and scorning words, commoners and nobility fearing to be preyed upon by their power. Adventurers speak of an alternative reality, or a manifestation of realms, and it is all far too much for the commoners to take. The unknown is terrifying, and the beasts which it draws to it even more so.

Wrath of the Drakes (A part of Ouroboros dreams, but its pretty big)

• The Thunderpeaks have been ravaged after a brutal battle between two dragons, their presence or reason for choosing the Thunderpeaks their battlefield remains unknown. Indeed, Dragonkind and reptiles are flocking to Arabel, speaking of prophecies, and great things to come. All of this much to Arabel's displeasure, as it draws the reptilian eyes towards it.

Thralls of the Beasts (Underdark/NightmareTower/BeholdervsIllithid plot)

• Far beneath the Helmlands, the Beholder Hive has sunk deep into the sand. In its place a strange twisted tower of unspeakable horrors has blossomed in a single night, reaching far from the depths into the accursed sky of the land. Nightmares, horrors, and dreaded beasts manifest within its twisted halls and caverns, whispering tempting promises of power and wealth.

Rule of the Council (Not a plot, just a statement that government is stable enough so focus on other shit)

• With the White Horde no more, the title of First Peer has been dissolved. Instead Arabel is ruled by a council, of unstable alliances and petty squabble. Should a great enough threat arise, the Council of Twelve, along with the First Peer may rise once more. As is, Twelve and First Peer stays.

Based of the Post White Horde Arabel post made by Spiffy:

@SpiffyMeister said in Post White Horde Arabel, Chapter 2?:

The city is recovering, but not prospering. Old contracts with Sembia, Thunderholme, and the Elves are reopened for negotiation to take advantage of an even weaker Arabel, which Misrim resists doggedly fighting tooth and nail to preserve old trade deals.
    House Vaylan reforms into a more traditional noble house, disbanding a large number of mercenaries in order to properly safeguard their new lands outside the city, leaving newly risen noble houses to police their own lands and territories.
    Misrim is no longer as wealthy, their faction civil war having cost them substantial assets, however, they construct a formal bank for the city and rely on the stored assets to 'loan themselves' coin. This is a secret scheme to inflate their wealth and keep up appearances.
    The city is ruled by a Council of Nobles and/or influential people, depending on which direction we go.
    Islyn/Obyn heads Misrim as their Lady/Lord. The other party is missing if Obyn is leading, if Islyn wins, he is dead.
    I would like Jastyne recuse herself from public life, focusing on the purity of her art (halberdiership)
    The Embassies are stripped of any power they possessed in the city. Arabel slowly turns more insular and isolationist.
    Relations with Cormyr cool, border skirmishes become less common, and rhetoric against the southern neighbor similarly reduce.
    The city tries to move on from the rhetoric and chaos of the revolution, and begin enforcing what were once traditions only.

• Admin [DM]

5 reasons why Puffy is amazing:

1. No more "who is the ruler" plottage, just the council and we're done!
    2. nethril scroll is cool
    3. Dragons
    4. Dragons (!)
    5. Nightmare tower is cool

• Storyteller [DM]

I want a strong figurehead. Council can stay, but we need a 'the buck stops here' person.

• Admin [DM]

@SpiffyMeister said in The Themes of Chapter 2:

I want a strong figurehead. Council can stay, but we need a 'the buck stops here' person.

I would say the figurehead can depend on how things pans out IG, but it should also be pretty flexible depending on how things goes Chapter 2.

• Admin [DM]

Please leave the Twelve Council. It is, with some guidance, the plot melting pot for the setting. "Strong" needs to be defined. If we want someone who can actually control the city then just let it be Cormyr and problem solved. We have a Strong figurehead. She is just a terrible ruler as intended.

• Admin [DM]

@Prof-Misclick said in The Themes of Chapter 2:

Please leave the Twelve Council. It is, with some guidance, the plot melting pot for the setting. "Strong" needs to be defined. If we want someone who can actually control the city then just let it be Cormyr and problem solved. We have a Strong figurehead. She is just a terrible ruler as intended.

Sure, tweaked!

• Storyteller [DM]

As for Dragons, I can write up ideas for Dragons.

• Admin [DM]

As for Dragons, I can write up ideas for Dragons.

https://nodebb.cityofarabel.com/topic/51954/wip-background-plot-ouroboros-dreams

plz put all dragon ideas in there

• Storyteller [DM]

liked this write up, it highlighted a few interseting thing for chapter 2.
    https://nodebb.cityofarabel.com/topic/52498/the-marriage-contract/11

A Goldfeather Queen with a Obarskyr King would be great. If we do not like Matrim for it, we can find someone else that is sympathetic to an independent Arabel?

Otherwise, yes to a strong figurehead. Council staying too. Just make it clear they aren't there to deal with the everyday politics but with the threats to the city state and the like.

• I'm all for expanding into the Underdark...

• So, three possible rulers, depending on what players do in the run up to chapter 2?

Cool.

(I hope it's not jastyne!)

• Admin [DM]

So:

1. We keep the councils

2. 3 options for figurehead/ruler, depending on players push IG
      2.1 Jastyne stays as First Peer, aka as is
      2.2 Council with no/new First Peer, new figurehead
      2.3 Kestrel/Matrim marriage, with council advising them

• @Puffy said in The Themes of Chapter 2:

So:

1. We keep the councils

2. 3 options for figurehead/ruler, depending on players push IG
      2.1 Jastyne stays as First Peer, aka as is
      2.2 Council with no/new First Peer, new figurehead
      2.3 Kestrel/Matrim marriage, with council advising them

Well... actually no, Jastyne becomes QUEEN- doesn't stay as first peer, if ya read it close

1. A DESPOTIC RULER
      2a. Jastyne, should she crown herself queen, would become increasingly unstable and paranoid, falling prey to the curse Gondegal suffered from as she lashes out in her nightly terrors of betrayal...

Also you missed out Obyn there.

And the Ghosts leader.

Wait... did you read it Puffy? 🙂

(By the way, I was also WRONG, it's 4 possible leaders! - Jastyne, Obyn Misrim, Islyn Misrim, and Matrim Kingsley)

• Admin [DM]

I'm basing the write up on what was written here https://nodebb.cityofarabel.com/post/332166 rather than the theme that Spiffy wrote

• Storyteller [DM]

Queen is cooler than some lame first peer. IMO