Metaplot Plot: Ouroboros Dreams

• Admin [DM]

What about we make it so that the players can possibly come across the inn randomly in the dream areas, aka a place to rest where you normally cannot. As well as a way to escape the dream should they want to. Since the inn appears in random places, appearing in dreams isn't beyond its abilities.

• Admin [DM]

@Zool said in Metaplot Plot: Ouroboros Dreams:

Trying to work out the reason for the resistance to being able to rest in another area though, did I miss some mad stuff that happened with a past incarnation of this place?

Yes, very much, you did.
    Everyone just hung out in there and avoided going anywhere because it was a no PvP zone.
    Mitchifer became a bit of a joke IMO: he's supposed to be the owner of the inn, and likely a god in disguise, but he came off as a pervy innkeeper no more mysterious than anyone else. Honestly he should rarely, if ever, be seen.

I am on the fence about it "spawning in random places" - especially if you want people inside the "dream" to be able to find it because then when you exit through it you have no idea where the hell you are.

What do you want people to do with the Inn though?
    Will there be quests available?
    Will there be access to other planes? If so, which and why?

• Storyteller [DM]

The inn can be used to facilitate dm quests to far flung places believably.

I say remove the no pvp restriction, i know it’s not canon but i for one do not want any “safe spaces”

• Well, to be honest, it's basically "No PVP" in all of the inns (without a DM anyway) but yes, we can just say that whatever magical ward Mitchefer has, is unstable (due to the ouroboros stuff?!?!) so, while all kinds of creatures still go there as it's "generally safe" it can still potentially kick off, which is why Mitchefer has hired a powerful Modron from Mechanus as a bouncer.

• Admin [DM]

I rather not do the whole plane traveling thing again, caused a lot of headache.
    Can't it just be a weird restable area, which location shifts?

• @Puffy said in Metaplot Plot: Ouroboros Dreams:

I rather not do the whole plane traveling thing again, caused a lot of headache.
    Can't it just be a weird restable area, which location shifts?

The planes are a part of Faerun, and DnD in general, we'd need an entirely new setting to completely remove them.

No one is asking to make huge plotlines based around them though, just saying this place is fun, cool, interesting, and allows a DM to run one shots in other planes in a cool way.

• Admin [DM]

I'm not against some plane traveling, but I rather not make it common.

• Admin [DM]

Its a PLANAR inn. It is on another plan. You cant have the WSI and not have planar stuff.

• @Echo said in Metaplot Plot: Ouroboros Dreams:

Its a PLANAR inn. It is on another plan. You cantvhave the WSI and not havecplanar stuff.

We kinda did for years though. There weren't planar treks every day when the world serpent existed in previous versions of CoA. I spent a year or so trying to travel to other planes, and managed one (two if you count the Fugue!!!) and a couple of random pocket planes.

It's just a nice place to allow for one offs, doesn't need to have a load of portals you can just use to go to other planes or anything mad, just DM dependant.

It's not a big deal, if the world serpent is a big problem for people to have in existence, then I don't get it but alright. Can still open a portal for a one off trip to the plane of fire to get the flaming baked bean tin of grumbledoom.

• Admin [DM]

@Puffy said in Metaplot Plot: Ouroboros Dreams:

I'm not against some plane traveling, but I rather not make it common.

Just entering the WSI is PLANAR traveling
    Technically so is going to the fugue

• Admin [DM]

Having the inn within the setting is fine I guess. I still don’t see it as adding much that is relevant to a level 4-10 setting but:

• PvP with DM oversight is allowed, like any area
    • No spawn point
    • No resting
    • No OP “inn keeper” NPC-
    • No faction/pc perk

As a setting piece to add some flavour/fluff/lore or to launch one off events sure.

• @Prof-Misclick said in Metaplot Plot: Ouroboros Dreams:

Having the inn within the setting is fine I guess. I still don’t see it as adding much that is relevant to a level 4-10 setting but: -

It's cool and different. It adds variety and general sprinkles of fun stuff.

• PvP with DM oversight is allowed, like any area

Sure, sounds good.

• No spawn point

Yeah, that makes sense, it's moving around all the time.

• No resting

Still dont understand why... it's an inn, what's the big issue with resting there exactly? I can't figure this out.

• No OP “inn keeper” NPC-

Can you explain what this means exactly? We generally have "OP" NPC's in various places, so that players can't just drink all the potions and take over Arabel. Lots of NPC's are "unkillable" without a real story reason for it, otherwise we'd have to make new NPC's every week after players assasinated them all with invis haste knockdown spam.

• No faction/pc perk

No absolutely not!

As a setting piece to add some flavour/fluff/lore or to launch one off events sure.

Yep, this sounds cool.

• Admin [DM]

I mean no god masquerading as an inkeeper that players talk to. Extraplanar/super fantastic hanging. NPCs that simply are invulnerable to any player action. Most “powerful” NPCs we have in the setting are Jastyne (level 15), high priests who are around level 11-13 and some randoms of the level 8-11 range. NPCs can and should be able to be killed with a great story.

My question about the resting is why is it needed? We have inns already. I don’t want this planar inn to become a player hub for reasons explained earlier. Plot device and setting lore/fluff is fine.

Edit: Make this inn only around when/if there is a plot happening that needs a planar jaunt.

Edit: I forgot the Heirophaunt Granit the Druid who is maybe level 16?

• Admin [DM]

Can we just skip the world serpent 😛 (fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine)

fine by me

• Well, we can have a look at it if we even get around to it I guess.

Pretty sure there's more important stuff, didn't wanna cause a huge fuss, just think it's a cool place.

It'd never be a hub if it worked how I was kinda thinking of doing it, as a doesn't even always exist, never know where it is, only found sometimes kinda place, it'd be impossible to use as a hub anyway, cos you'd not really be able to find it (not even possible to find it some resets)

Anyway, whatever! Like I say, more important stuff to deal with.