Written Letters never sent

• Builders Guild

Dearest Brother,

I've followed you to the wondrous city of Adventure. Arriving just yesterday, I've already met the local sweetheart, a Retainer and Knight of Torm, named Noah. How delicate his fragile hold on his faith must truly be to cling so desperately to it. Despite my observations, I cannot help but relate to this fanatics drive to accomplish his own tasks which parallel mine.

Tomorrow I'll seek you out and hope you've founded a circle of confidence for us to begin our researching the numerous institutions of this glorious city. Perhaps with enough like-minded comrades we could do more than grow our pockets. Perhaps we could grow our minds as well.

Your brother,
    Arfas

• Builders Guild

Dearest Brother,

I continue my expedition into the frozen north seeking old the rarest and most bizarre reagents. There are a number of hedge magic rituals which I wish to perform in the near future, if only to further my own research. I recently came across a strange book, and with it, a passage about conjuring doorways.

It is regarding the creation of a planar key;
    "Put plainly, can this key be energized in such a way to control it's destination point? And can the gateway be manipulated to be one-way, or two-way travel? Can such a key be calibrated to specific end points? Can these points be interdirectional?"

I'll pick up where this researcher left off and begin my own experimentation.

• Builders Guild

Dear Brother,

Let me tell you a story;

"There were once thirteen Children of the Night. They were born eons before Torils beaches were filled with sand and blood. When the sun was born, they woke and crawled in desperation away from the blinding sight. For years they shriveled in the warmth of the first Star, gnawing at the first signs of life essence birthed by Amauthor. It was Azuth who harnessed their mothers power and locked them in the darkest, farthest reaches of the Cosmos. There, they bided their time, growing strong in darkness, aging and molding themselves into Kings. These Kings of Shadow in their slumber were stronger than any one god, and in some tellings of the tale, the gods were born out of their nightmarish dreams, which too could take form in the mortal world.

In the year 1364, 3 Kings dreamt their escape from the Far Realm, and were slain with overwhelming force by the armies of the mortal world.

I believe one escaped more recently by trying to Dimension Jump, her name was Lyss.

This leaves Nine. Nine Kings of Darkness dreaming of a means to escape their prison, and return to their home, and make war on the gods whom stole it."

Your Brother,
    Arfas

• Builders Guild

Dearest Brother,

During some late night scavenging at the local library, I stumbled across a Star Map I hadn't yet seen before. All the well known constalations were listed, one of which, forms a magical gate, a ring of binding, like a less complex thermatergic circle. I say less complex, but the distances between those stars are millions, no, billions of kilometers.

Perhaps this Shadowstar is the location, the gateway i've been searching for?

The key. . .

Many of the older scriptures detail how conjuration magic will sometimes require an anchor, if Gond made this key, and it was truly used by a wizard to seal away the original 13, all that I have left to do is form another.

Yes, of course, I'll just slap one together using the local smithy...

It saddens me, all this research, all this planning and cutting edge discovery and I find I've yet another hurdle. A Gondkey is no simple feat. If it took a God to conjure it, it would likely take a God to form another..

Your brother,
    Arfas

• Builders Guild

Dearest Brother,

"Some things, aren't meant for human eyes."

The gods created us, grant us knowledge, give us feeling, make us seekers of greater understanding,

then ask us to be humble?

To teach a child how to love, then ask it to restrict itself is asking it to not be what you've taught it to become.

Karsus's Folly is wrong. It was the Gods' Folly. They failed us. It was their foolish to teach us our potential, then deny us.

To seek knowledge is to pursue our destiny as beings who can be greater.

I go to seek the Obelisk tonight. I'll translate its secrets.

Your Brother,
    Arfas

• Builders Guild

Dearest Brother,

I do believe I met the most wonderful woman in the world last evening. She can't be more than twenty five, and speaks with knowledge far beyond her years. A natural scholar, questioning the world around her. If there was any room in my heart for more than my research, perhaps I'd try and get to know her.

That husband of hers might get in the way, but that's what husbands do.

I recently entered the service of the House of Death. This was MY decision. I think I might tell her about it though. There was hope of a secret library, perhaps some special knowledge, but nothing thus far. Rumors say you are rewarded with knowledge when you prove you've earned it. I'll publish my paper of their unfortunate man wrong theories of the Wheat King.

On to the research...

Little progress since my last update. So much to do. You keep gardening, brother.

Reagent List:
    Mythalite
    Enriched Verdicite
    Star Iron
    Blue Star Sapphire
    The Chaos Key

I only need a few more pieces of the puzzle.

• Builders Guild

Dearest Brother,

A most potent discovery! A breakthrough!

The Shadowfel, the Otherworld, the Plane of Darkness, whatever name you know it by, it is a gift TO them! My most recent translation of an older text regarding the Old Ones says it was created by the gods to lure them away from the Prime Material Plane. It was here the gods used their magic to imprison them, and then they cast that prison Far from our Realm.

Your Brother,
    Arfas

The devils in the details as they say, we're so close now...

• Builders Guild

Planar Scrying

Spellcraft DC: 32

the below graphic is that of a powerful planar scrying ritual used to view, experience, and hear across the realmspace. A passing of the above DC would allow one to understand that this spell is a form one one-way communication, where the caster is experiencing the other place yet cannot communicate with it directly.

List of Reagents:
    Star Iron
    Blue Star Sapphire
    Compass
    Starmap
    A piece of the realm you wish to view, or more specifically the creature.

Cast Find trap on the compass.
    Cast Legend Lore on the Blue Star Sapphire
    Cast Knock on the object.

Tie the Star Iron to a piece of string, wrapped in a twice-knot, and suspend it over the Star Map.

Cast See Invisibility on the Star Iron, while suspended over the map.

• Note that the Compass will act as a timer, when the compass cracks, end the spell, or suffer the consequences.
    • Prepare a plethora of mind wards. Suggestions are protection from evil, protection from chaos, Clarity, Negative Energy protection, Protection from elements, a Spell mantle version, invisibility prepared, and have an assistant on hand to hold off whatever might mistake you for a meal.

((duration is depending on the quality of the compass, a mundane compass will last Caster level+1d4 turns))

• Builders Guild

Dearest Brother,

Today, as you witnessed, we were able to observe ... It. Yes. I cannot even write what I would believe its name to be. Any description of it would be an injustice to its terror. A part of me believes we witnessed both the beginning and the end of all things. The first spark of life, and the last. Yet buried deep within the blackest part of the madness, a presence indescribable. A darkness all consuming. Its eye opened. I could not see it, I could not hear, nor taste, nor smell, but some part of me was screaming, begging me "LOOK AWAY." And I could feel it. Some curious part of it writhed beneath my feet, and the blackness circled my boots, crawling up my legs, exploring the alien species invading its home. It encompassed all of me in mere seconds and before I could even think to breath.Whether it awoke from some dream, or perhaps we slipped into its attention, I cannot say. I do not know. However I am certain it is awake now. Conscious. Thinking. As you know, my frail physique failed us. My concentration broke only moments after it saw us, and I was nearly lost forever, consumed by the Terror that Slept. With my concentration broken, the spell fizzled, and we returned to our realm with more questions than ever before.

More research is necessary now.

What does it want..?

Your Brother,
    Arfas