Baludar Snowsilver

• Thane,

An agreement has been reached for the excavation rights on Moonshae Island. We shall begin prospecting immediately. Should we start operations, this agreement will come into effect.

I need your signature.

Brogmir Snowsilver

CONTRACT - PROSPECTING AND MINERAL RIGHTS OF DISOCRD ISLE

The human settlement in Discord Isle, Moonshae Isles hereby...

Grants exclusive excavation rights to Clan Snowsilver of Thunderholme for twenty-five years. This includes...

• All ores, metals, and precious gems that can be excavated through conventional means underground.
    • Any relics, or antiquities from any Dwarven settlements.
    • Use of the forge that requires the coal.

Subject to....

• a quarterly quota of how much ore, gems, Dwarven relics or Dwarven antiquities that can be extracted as determined by the chosen representatives of the human population of Discord Isle.
    • no interference with the old or new cultural and religious holy sites that may be underground as determined by the appropriate religious authority of Discord Isle.
    • the natural balance of the surface being maintained.
    • mines depleted by mining will be converted to underground farms, which will be given to a Moonshae Granary to be used to feed all residents of the Moonshae settlement.

In return for these rights, Clan Snowsilver will be obliged to...

• Pay an appropriate tithe to the human settlement. This shall begin with 25% of the total value of ore generated, paid through the development of the current encampment into a serviceable village for use by the humans.

Whereupon...

• Every current resident in the isle has a bedchamber within the current encampment, public facilities and the cave itself has a level of fortification standard in a small clan holding (stone wall, functioning gate, lookout tower).

After which...

• The payment shall be reduced to a value of 12.5% of all ore, gems, antiquities extracted, this is payable in ore, or gold.

Furthermore...

• Clan Snowsilver will be permitted to establish a small dwarven enclave around the forge on behalf of Thunderholme. This will include a mining barracks, small bar, a working area and shrine.
    • The enclave shall appoint a representative for the dwarven community resident in the Isle. Twelve dwarves shall form this enclave. Any further dwarves migrating to the enclave must receive approval from the representative human council.
    • The Dwarves in the enclave shall not drink or sing between the hours of 12am to noon.
    • Any mine shaft depleted of ore shall be repurposed to underground farming by humans, at the expense of Clan Snowsilver.

PARTICULARS

This, for all intents and purposes, the dwarven enclave will be considered part of the Moonshae population, with its own representative on the Moonshae Council. Breaches of the treaty or any disagreements will be resolved through a meeting of this council. This includes...

• Thievery
    • Overexploitation of mineral ore (quota breaking)
    • Anti-social threatening and violent behaviour within the encampment or enclave
    • Any other forms of activities which bring harm upon members of the encampment or enclave

If arbritration cannot solve the relevant issue, the agreement can only be broken with proven breaches of these terms, and three month's notice and appropriate financial settlement (to cover the cost of construction of the dwarven enclave) shall be given.

• Storyteller [DM]

A reply takes its time to return...

Baludar,

You havent got ANY commitment about how much ore we can get only some fancy words that you will let them tell us later.

Do you endorse this contract?
    Is there enough ore there to make it worth our while?

If this goes wrong it is on your head, and your purse!

And what the hell is this about a forge that requires coal, are you stupid, they all require coal!

Thane Snowsilver

• Baludar,

The forge is odd. Seems like some dwarf stuck some kind of molten rock in the thing, and it burns like mad.

The agreement. We need to prospect. We have no commitment other than looking for ores now. If there is enough to set up a viable operation, we mine it and take it back to a Snowsilver enclave in this refugee centre. If we piss off a forest god, they'll tell us to stop and reimburse us for any losses. The commitment to arm the villagers for the duration of the contract removed.

Right now, if we find enough ores to make a full enclave profitable, we would have to construct a few dwellings as we mine. The other shite we would have needed to construct anyway for a mining operation, and this comes out of the tax we pay the village.

Don't see any downsides. We prospect. If there's untapped riches waiting to be mined, it's ours.

As for the risk. I am more than happy to look over the books on this one, Baludar. But let's see if there's anything down there first.

Brogmir Snowsilver

CONTRACT - PROSPECTING AND MINERAL RIGHTS OF DISOCRD ISLE

The human settlement in Discord Isle, Moonshae Isles hereby...

Grants exclusive excavation rights to Clan Snowsilver of Thunderholme for twenty-five years. This includes...

• All ores, metals, and precious gems that can be excavated through conventional means underground.
    • Any relics, or antiquities, from Dwarven settlements.
    • Use of the forge that requires no coal.

Subject to....

• no interference with the old or new cultural and religious holy sites that may be underground as determined by the appropriate religious authority of Discord Isle.
    • the natural balance of the surface being maintained.
    • mines depleted by mining will be converted to underground farms, which will be given to a Moonshae Granary to be used to feed all residents of the Moonshae settlement, including Dwarves.

In return for these rights, Clan Snowsilver will be obliged to...

• Pay an appropriate tithe to the human settlement. This shall begin with 25% of the total value of ore generated, paid through the development of the current encampment into a serviceable village for use by the humans.

Whereupon...

• Every current resident in the isle has a bedchamber within the current encampment, public facilities and the cave itself has a level of fortification standard in a small clan holding (stone wall, functioning gate, lookout tower).

After which...

• The payment shall be reduced to a value of 12.5% of all ore, gems, antiquities extracted, this is payable in ore, or gold.

Furthermore...

• Clan Snowsilver will be permitted to establish a small dwarven enclave around the forge on behalf of Thunderholme. This will include a mining barracks, small bar, a working area and shrine.
    • The enclave shall appoint a representative for the dwarven community resident in the Isle. Twelve dwarves shall form this enclave. Any further dwarves migrating to the enclave must receive approval from the representative human council.
    • The Dwarves in the enclave shall not drink or sing between the hours of 12am to noon.
    • Any mine shaft depleted of ore shall be repurposed to underground farming by humans, at the expense of Clan Snowsilver.

PARTICULARS

This, for all intents and purposes, the dwarven enclave will be considered part of the Moonshae population, with its own representative on the Moonshae Council. Breaches of the treaty or any disagreements will be resolved through a meeting of this council. This includes...

• Thievery
    • Anti-social threatening and violent behaviour within the encampment or enclave
    • Any other forms of activities which bring harm upon members of the encampment or enclave
    • The Earthmother using signs which suggest mining should be suspended.

Any breaches of these terms will, in the first instance, result in a temporary suspension of mining operations, subject to the whim of the Moonshae Council.

If arbritration cannot solve the relevant issue, the agreement can only be broken with proven breaches of these terms, with three month's notice and appropriate financial settlement (to cover the cost of construction of the dwarven enclave) shall be given.

• Baludar,

Please sign this. Once you do, all the ores in the isle will be exclusive to our clan, regardless of who finds it.

Recent dealings with the forest dwellers have made me rethink the strategy here but the particulars of that can be discussed in person.

For now, all I need is a cost estimate for single, fortified building for ore storage and a hardy gate to a mining tunnel. From my own purse. We need a single dwarf right now, preferrably an Ogretoe and not a Snowsilver, with some experience of mining. Happy to pay for that, or the Ogretoes can take a generous cut of what we find.

Since the leaders of the camp are mostly Cormyrians, send the contract to the Thunderhammers and file a copy with Kraliq. This will allow us to get back any gold we spend, as per the stipulation I negotiated.

Brogmir

• Storyteller [DM]

Brogmir,

After your recent payment to the clan funds i will gladly let you take charge of the kinsmen i am sending, make the deal and step up.

I leave the details in your hands, the contract is yours to make or break, as are the rewards so long as a tithe comes home.

Snowsilver
    the letter is embossed with the clan sigil

• Baludar,

In all honesty, the caravan city is an impoverished shithole. The only folk with any gold are bandits, happy for the clan to take the bulk of anything.

I had hoped to get a bunch of golems, but instead hire some dwarves to start digging. And build a heavily fortified storage base at the entrance to it.

Just get the lads digging as far and deep as they can in a month.

We are allowed twelve dwarves. So six diggers, a priest, a smith and the rest guards. I can pay for all that. Let's give it a month, if we can't find anything in that time, we send the lads back to Thunderholme.

I figure 2,000 head for a miner should cover the team. The rest could be the most zealous missionaries in Thunderholme who'd likely head out for free.

Brogmir