Druid animal companions

• Druids have a much smaller variety of animal companions, unlike rangers.

Consider opening all the magical beasts to druids to tame as well (night wolf, winter wolf, ghost wolf, etc)

Druids are limited to less than half what a ranger can tame, and frankly the most boring!

• DMs

Would it unbalance things if druids had access to the more powerful animals? This needs to be put into consideration

• DMs

Druids call down the raw power of Nature, Rangers fight along side nature.

If you want to tame Magical beasts, multiclass into ranger IMO.
    Taking away one of it's unique class features and giving it to a Full caster who can shapeshift just cheapens ranger more than it improves druid.

• Storyteller [DM]

I'd rather it work this way Skul.

Rangers can only tame what their FE states.

Druids can tame any sort of animal or elemental spirit.

• DMs

@spiffymeister said in Druid animal companions:

I wanna AE human NPCs then 😛

• Storyteller [DM]

Sure. Rangers as slave masters forcing bandits they've tortured and kidnapped into their service with the lash and whip...yum.

• Storyteller [DM]

Plus, imagine a ranger with FE dragon taming a Wyvern. That'd be super sexy and it'd encourage people to diversify past the most economically logical ones, like FE human.

• @spiffymeister said in Druid animal companions:

I'd rather it work this way Skul.

Druids can tame any sort of animal or elemental spirit.

Tame elementals? Yes please.

• Arabel City Militia

@puffy said in Druid animal companions:

@spiffymeister said in Druid animal companions:

I wanna AE human NPCs then 😛

I personally think "slave master" should be a ranger kit, and allow certain rangers to tame goblins and kobolds. Even if it is not mechanically powerful, it would be pretty awesome.

Agree though, I'd open the whole companion thing to the weird and wonderful. Allowing FE types to be tamed might mean tou could get rid of the rangers kits altogether.

@skulduggery said in Druid animal companions:

Druids call down the raw power of Nature, Rangers fight along side nature.

If you want to tame Magical beasts, multiclass into ranger IMO.
    Taking away one of it's unique class features and giving it to a Full caster who can shapeshift just cheapens ranger more than it improves druid.

Druids should maybe be allowed more exotic companions, if it is easy enough to do. Rangers may have survivalist skills, but druids can literally bend rivers and cause floods. Should maybe count for something.

Don't know how it would work, probably linked to alignment (if that's easier), but things like treants seem very druid-y. Maybe give each druid a type of treant on spawn, but with no taming ability? These might correspondend to alignment and levels with a druid? It would be fun (particularly if you can enhance it IG) since you could have much clearer Blight druids, which seem to be app or emote only right now.

Mechanically, its hard to say if Ranger or Druid have it better. Ranger are very good fighters, while druids are slightly subpar clerics. Do stuff that will create fun. Allow orcs to AE goblins.

• Rangers wouldn't have an issue with taming something unnatural either. They made no vow to uphold nature, they're just really good survivalists is all.

Druids on the other hand, you'd never see one walking around with a pet Mephit.

I like spiffy's suggestion. But I think both rangers and druids should be able to tame animals on the side. Otherwise rangers with two types of humanoids as favored enemy are screwed.

• DMs

Random opinion but, for me, druids should be able to tame way more powerful natural beings than rangers.

And high level druids should be able to "ally" with elementals.

• Storyteller [DM]

Maybe druid staffs can make elementals of the same element non-hostile?

• DMs

@spiffymeister
    Probably a bad idea, considering you charge those same staves by "dueling" and defeating those same elementals! Would make it a little odd I think.

• Arabel City Militia

Still think rangers should be able to tame or enslave a wider arrangement of creature types than druids (outsider, goblinoids, reptilians, vermin).

One thought is that druids might not use animals for hunting in the same way as Rangers do, and are more likely to seek high intelligent beings in the wilds for companionship (particularly Fey / hags etc for evil/neutral druids).

• I agree with rangers being able to tame a wider variety of creatures based on their FE (though not AE them), barring creatures that are nonliving (constructs, undead, elementals, possibly aberrants). That being said, magical beasts should be tameable by druids, and I'm not against elementals being tamed by druids.

Thing is, though, once we do that, do we have to come up with scaling companions? Do we need to start tagging EVERY quest boss to not be tameable? It's a lot of work for something minor, if we open up taming based on FE.

• Storyteller [DM]

we can just make it clear doing so is an exploit and will get your PC deleted.