Suggestion: Control Tool for companions

• I've seen this on other servers. Without going too much in detail there was a tool (playertool in the radial menu) which would allow you to select a henchman/summon and order it to specific spots by clicking the same tool again on the ground before you.

This provided for much more efficient summons and gameplay all together (summons don't trigger the traps if you guide them around them.) And it has it's uses in Roleplay.

This suggestion is made because I haven't found a tool alike it just yet. If it's already IG, then sorry and please ignore! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Storyteller [DM]

Itโ€™s a massive project and we donโ€™t have the technical ability atm.

Certainly desirable tho.

• DMs

Needs some minor hak work (enabling the player tools)

And then some importing of some form of henchman AI system, likely from "The vault" and then quite probly several alterations to make it work with the current scripts.

Yep, decent chunk of work.

• Hm. That's a shame. I could try and look for it, but if the implementation really is that much work I suppose it's not gonna happen. ๐Ÿ˜ž

• DMs

We would love it added, but atm we don't have the knowledge to do so. If you want to have a go, feel free!

• DMs

@puffy said in Suggestion: Control Tool for companions:

We would love it added, but atm we don't have the knowledge to do so. If you want to have a go, feel free!

Yeah, I mean, the only part that's harder for a member of the comunity to do, is enabling the player tools, but honestly, if you look around you can probably find the method of doing so, and put it all together, it's not really a huge thing to enable those.

Researching a set of AI which uses the player tool could also be done, and it's -possible- that dumping it in is viable. (Though we do have some custom stuff, it's possible it'd be alright.)

This is one of the reasons I would prefer CoA's code base was just on GitHub and the community could make stuff.

If you look around, and find something, it's not wasted effort.

• I think I've found it. Atleast, this seems to be the very system that I've found used on other servers I've played before.

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/script/numos-minion-command-tool

Seems pretty straightforward (and easy to implement?).

• DMs

Looks simple enough on the face of it.

Would need to find some other way to grant the player tool aside from a skin, and probably need to look at the henchman scripts we use, and merge anything important (there probly are a few things, especially as we use custom animal companions and custom undead and various other elements, they probably require a tonne of variables to operate with everything else)

• Storyteller [DM]

@Zool could just give everyone on login 5 player tool feats via the coa_onmod load script, yes?

• DMs

@spiffymeister said in Suggestion: Control Tool for companions:

@Zool could just give everyone on login 5 player tool feats via the coa_onmod load script, yes?

Probly yeah. I forget exactly how the adding of feats used to work, and, weather it fully works with EE version of NWNX.

The thing is, these are feats which need to be "attached" to the radial menu, or something like that, so it's not -exactly- the same as just adding them to the character. They will technically have them, but might not be on their radial menu.

They might though, I'm unsure as to how the radial menu stuff works, I think it used to work from the feat.2da?

Could be possible to handle that with a server side override? better to use a hak?

These are the questions that would need investigating.