Before Creation Application Difficulty

• DMs

I'm working on a guideline for players on how difficult it is to have certain applications approved in general, whilst we always focus on telling a good story. Everyone knows, some applications are harder to have approved than others. So, what better way than to give a rough list on the application difficulty? Please comment on what you think of the list and suggest edits!

Before Creation application

Easy:
    Militia Private
    Blade
    Dragonborn
    Special Background (Excluding nobility)
    Special item (None magical, or low magic)

Average:
    Aasimar
    Battlemage
    Fey-touched
    Militia Sergeant
    Official Clergy
    Purple Dragon Road Captain
    Purple Dragon Scout
    Tiefling
    Werewolf
    Wererat
    Werebat

Medium:
    Any Gensai
    Axani
    Cansin
    Lythari
    Minor Nobility (Excluding Knighthood, Lordship)
    Special item (Magical, or scripted)
    Warforged
    Werecat
    Werecrocodile
    Werespider
    Werebear

Hard:
    Canon Unsupported Faction
    Duergar
    Githzerai
    Githyanki
    Half-Undead
    Jinx
    Nobility
    Non-Scripted Subrace
    Werepanther
    Weretiger

Near impossible:
    Fey'ri
    Drow
    Half-Dragon
    Janni

No:
    Half-Celestial
    Half-Fiend
    Dragon
    Monster Race
    Royalty
    Secretly snuck in canon lore (Will be revoked)

• DMs

I would say "Monster race" is too general for a flat no. Maybe stick it in the Near impossible category since there are some that could potentially be tolerated or hide their Nature.

• DMs

What about.. Monster Races (Such as, Minotaur, Shark, Lich, Ogre, Orc, Goblin, Kobold, Yuan-Ti Fullblood)?

• DMs

"Obviously monstrous races"

• DMs

@zool said in Before Creation Application Difficulty:

"Obviously monstrous races"

We better ban Spiffy, he didnt app.

• DMs

Kobold and goblin were acctually in my mind as potential races pcs could go for if appearance issues could be resolved. We've had both living in civilised areas before.

• Storyteller [DM]

This idea we can't have monster races because of certain armor models and shit not appearing is just baseless and dumb. You're preventing potentially fun and delightful concepts because someone can't have a cloak model that's visible. It's a 14 year old game whose problems won't be resolved in this regard. Why not let people just have fun?

• DMs

It would more be because the model wouldn't change whether you had armour or not, breaking WYSIWYG. Unless someone can script it to change to a model with appropriate armour every time you equip or unequip then that will be the constant issue.

• What is the difference between average and medium?

Genasi and cansin seems to me to be on par with aasimar and tiefling. Is it because you want them more rare they are moved up a difficulty?

"intelligent" monster races could be spread around for the races we do manage to get. Kobold and goblins in medium, lizardfolk, gnoll, whatever in hard, the big ones if we ever get ogres or trolls in near impossible. Would all depend on what the subraces get and how much RP they require.

Axani is missing, should be with Cansin. (or is it because its currently bug that it is not listed?)

• DMs

Personally not a fan of monster races cause we do not have the support for such races and 99% of the time they wont be able to use what the server has to offer, Drows and other outcast races already have an hard enough time being isolated and retire due to boredom. I would rather focus on us fixing the balance for the already supported races/concepts, than introduce new problems. Anyway, a different discussion for a different thread.

@TheMinionOfArabel Medium is more difficult than average 🙂 Basically. Think of it like, difficulty 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 but with names

• Arabel City Militia

I would like more features than less without apps, personally. Especially if we were to get rid off the kits, races/subraces seem a good way to plug the gap (perhaps with strict class restrictions).

• Storyteller [DM]

I think gensai should be moved to easy, and easy apps should be a “stripped down” or “informal” app. It should basically just say why they want it, what story they want to do and how they will portray it in a few sentences. I don’t think easy apps should require much if any effort and just be a formality to ensure we don’t have 25% of our player base playing gensai or Dragonborn etc. I think special background or non-magical item should the be moved up to an average or medium app that actually requires more thought or effort put in. Fey touched should also be moved down some since it’s power is not nearly as appealing as the stories it can open up

• Arabel City Militia

@latoksinned said in Before Creation Application Difficulty:

I think gensai should be moved to easy, and easy apps should be a “stripped down” or “informal” app. It should basically just say why they want it, what story they want to do and how they will portray it in a few sentences. I don’t think easy apps should require much if any effort and just be a formality to ensure we don’t have 25% of our player base playing gensai or Dragonborn etc. I think special background or non-magical item should the be moved up to an average or medium app that actually requires more thought or effort put in. Fey touched should also be moved down some since it’s power is not nearly as appealing as the stories it can open up

I'd add to this. I think certain subraces could be easy if a group can be formed.

For example, a dreugar clan might be easier than a single dreugar. This would be a "group app". Likewise a "half-undead" group may be easier than a single half-undead. This would allow the DMs to fit in these races to the server, and possibly make them easier to app in the future.

With a low pop, it could be that the entire server are murder hobos, and DMs need to think how that might work. Could the server be much darker than it is now, for example?

• DMs

@puffy said in Before Creation Application Difficulty:

Personally not a fan of monster races cause we do not have the support for such races and 99% of the time they wont be able to use what the server has to offer, Drows and other outcast races already have an hard enough time being isolated and retire due to boredom. I would rather focus on us fixing the balance for the already supported races/concepts, than introduce new problems. Anyway, a different discussion for a different thread.

@TheMinionOfArabel Medium is more difficult than average 🙂 Basically. Think of it like, difficulty 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 but with names

Pretty much this.

The problem has been traditionally that, most of the server is focussed around proper, generally lawful civilisation, and most of the NPC's and other such things assume you aren't an obvious monster. (It's also a CRAZY HUGE amount of work to make NPCs for instance react "correctly" under such circumstances)

If the setting is less generally lawful/good society/civilisation, then more obviously monstrous races could work.

• Githzerai and Githyanki should be much harder apps than Half dragon. While half dragon is stronger, strength shouldn't be the defining criteria for getting an app approved. Difficulty to portray the race and give it justice should.

Githzerai are native to the astral plane where the concept of time doesn't exist... That's an insane roleplaying difficulty.
    Githyanki are native to limbo. A plane where at times up is down, left is south, the color red tastes like tofu and second degree burns will impregnate you. They're also the closest thing to a monster race on coa.

• @chips said in Before Creation Application Difficulty:

Githzerai and Githyanki should be much harder apps than Half dragon. While half dragon is stronger, strength shouldn't be the defining criteria for getting an app approved. Difficulty to portray the race and give it justice should.

Githzerai are native to the astral plane where the concept of time doesn't exist... That's an insane roleplaying difficulty.
    Githyanki are native to limbo. A plane where at times up is down, left is south, the color red tastes like tofu and second degree burns will impregnate you. They're also the closest thing to a monster race on coa.

Other way round with the zerai and yanki, but +1 to your point.

• DMs

It's very unlikely to get such an app approved, those who do often do not last very long. However, I wouldn't say they are harder than half-dragons personally, since CoA has made a conscious decision that half-dragons should be kept on the rare aspect.