When your familiar dies...

• Storyteller [DM]

i have found that when my familiar dies (and i have logged out) i am unable to log in with that character again untill a reset has occurred.

i log in and am moved to the road to arabel and recieve a yellow text message that i logged out whilst possessing my familiar and that this might cause instablity in the server (or something to that effect) and that as such i am to be booted. I am then booted.

[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/bi4239.jpg[/IMG]

this has happened to me on two separate occasions, both times my familiar had died.
    quick fix is obviously only use familiar for rp rather than combat which is doable with my character but might not be viable for all mages.

• Storyteller [DM]

just tried to log in again and found that i couldn't, same error message but this time i hadn't used my familiar at all.

no clue as to why.

spiffy reset the server last night and it allowed me to log in without incident, so there must be something that occurs to cause it though i have no idea. Subrace is the only thing unusual about the character.

• DMs

This might actually be trying to avoid an exploit that no longer exists to be honest. This is really pretty ancient code.

• Storyteller [DM]

Puffy hubby was fixing core scripts, might’ve broke it...by enabling the line.

• DMs

I recall something about this, will look into it

• Storyteller [DM]

i crashed today, on logging back in there was no issue.

• Storyteller [DM]

and this afternoon logged in to find myself affected by the bug once more and have not used familiar since inital posting here.

possible issues include:
    subrace
    bard spell failure script on armour
    bard songs

other than that i dont think i have done anything that other characters also do (map making, spells, potions, etc)

• Storyteller [DM]

puffy had me create a new character, we transferred items across.

2 days later i have the same bug appearing...

• So this bug happened to me...

Here's how it happened. Logged in with a different account name, the one I am using to look around at other server out of curiosity when CoA is empty. So, I had access to my PCs so I thought I was on my Minion account. Seems not! I was able to log in with my main but then realized the mistake. I logged out, changed player name in the nwnplayer.ini file, and logged back in. And boom... getting booted with the following message:

"You logged out or crashed while possessing your familiar.Doing this removes all of your local variables (we use these to keep track of quests,among other things). This can seriously break the server,so we have to boot you for the rest of this session until Bioware fixes this bug."

• addendum:
    I can play my PC with my other account just fine.
    Go figure...

• Looking into it.

• After the server rested, I was able to log in with my PC with my usual account.
    Issue solved for me.

• Is this still happening?

• Personally, I have not had the issue again.

Someone mentioned it on Discord though, I think it was @sharkinajar ?

• Storyteller [DM]

i have not had the issue again, but have resolved to us e the single account rather than altering my login name as i was occasionally.

i suspect that it is a variance between the steam protocols adn the old NWN ones creating the issue.