Old Town mechanic

• I think the new Arabel lay out is good (everything on one map), but I'd like a bit of the map to be Old Town-esque, maybe it can be sorted in game, but I would like to see Arabel redone a bit. I particularly like the Thunderholme embassy feel compared to the last one.

However, I would like to see quarters in the town, I am finding it difficult to generate any kind of intrigue with the same set up as before. I'd like a clear idea of who the important NPCs/groups are, for example.

Some ideas: different quarters to the town, an area of the town a bit rougher than the other bits (perhaps where adventurers gather). With the Old Town gone, no library, I am finding it hard to work out an angle to play without a DM

• North side of town is more well-to-do. Closer you are to the docks, slummier it gets.

v6 will focus less on law/chaos than prior versions.

• I would still like a part of the map to become old town again. Thought it was an important part of the game.

• Admin [DM]

Due to player actions IG Old Town died off, there is still some slum elements and gangs but they are far less prominent than what they used to be.

• @joekickass said in Old Town mechanic:

I would still like a part of the map to become old town again. Thought it was an important part of the game.

Why? Out of curiosity and to ensure our future plans are accounting for your thoughts.

• @mr-moloch said in Old Town mechanic:

@joekickass said in Old Town mechanic:

I would still like a part of the map to become old town again. Thought it was an important part of the game.

Why? Out of curiosity and to ensure our future plans are accounting for your thoughts.

Old Town provided a mechanic that allowed a nice amount of PvP. If thats replaced, it should be replaced with something else which pits players against one another. With the level cap increased (I would keep it closer to 12 than 14) DMs should be spawning stuff to help the weaker side.

I like the single map (in fact maybe Arabel is too big!) but would prefer a map split into a Centre/Citadel a fortified centre to arabel where militia are, thunderholme is, etc sorrounded by less safe places, perhaps split along racial or class grounds. Narrower streets/more dangerous NPCs in the poorer areas. Like the outcast/orc quarter could be very dangerous. Each quarter would have a PC base or two for PC factions.

This would allow bits of the town to become more lawless/lawful (or controlled by players) through player actions one-by-one and give everyone a basis for PvP.

• Ok, there will be definitely more lawless areas for players to compete over and fight in and over too. Just not in "Arabel".

• From what I saw, the south west corner of Arabel looks pretty slummy. And from what I remember of V3 and V4 you can pvp as much as you want anywhere in Arabel (not just the slums) you just need a dm on hand to represent the npc's.
    Just because there are peace officials in the city doesn't mean there'll be an instantaneous response time.

If you just want to threaten someone and give em what for, then run for it before the popo shows up, you'll be fine. Unless you're doing it in the northern plateau near the militia HQ, or right in the middle of the busy central market, Privates wouldn't show up instantly.

(World serpent probably isn't a high priority area for militia since adventurers tend to handle their own problems and the serpent inn technically isn't in Arabel)

It's drawn out fights that can't really happen without interference in the city.

This is just my assumption though, dm's correct me if I'm wrong.

• Admin [DM]

You will also notice there are no NPC guards in the slummy area of the city.

• Yeah. Most of my favourite factions and groups were based in the old town and had some protection from the law there, which helped enormously.

• Admin [DM]

Joe, as said, there will be places for criminals to prosper. 🙂

• Good to hear! I realise you guys have a lot on your plate fixing EE bugs so not expecting something next week, but looking forward to see you guys implementing new features/quests/etc