Delevel NPC in the fugue

• With the announcement by the dm team, that they wish not to help people relevel, delevel or remake, I suggest a "delevel" NPC is placed in the fugue. Simply put, it strips you of ALL your exp, down to 0, and gives it back to level 6.

Since we already have scripts in place, that makes any character below lvl 6 lvl 6 upon death, it should be an easy fix, but would help some of the morons (like myself) from having to pester a dm. This way, your fix 6 levels arent ENTIRELY locked forever and ever.

I pondered a bit about whether people could abuse it, But since its gonna happen in the fugue, I doubt many will try and abuse it.

• Storyteller [DM]

Worth considering.

• Will comment on this as I discussed it with @SpiffyMeister a week ago. I do not believe that full rebuild option should be in the hands of players mainly because this can be exploited in PvP. For example: Player A is about to challenge Player B, but they know player B relies on feat X, so they will rebuild their PC in order to handle it and then switch later again back to their PvE build. Going back and forth between builds should be considered an abuse(And its not very IC either).

I suggested that if you insist on giving this option to players then it should be an expensive tool you can buy(Thus serving as another Gold Sink to an already too rich environment) and it has 1 charge you can use to accomplish the same thing, without actually dying.

• Well, with deleveling to 6, you're also a low level. That means less HP/saves/feats too. And 1k gold to delevel (and then another 1k to delevel afterwards) isn't going to put a dent in our economy, let's face it.

• Making it a gold sink means only those competent at generating money will be able to respect where as if it was in the fugue everyone has access to it.

I suggest making it a “back to zero” system accessed from the fugue. The result will be a player trades ALL experience for the option to relevel from 1 to 6 when they respawn. Yes, that means when you’re level 20 and select this option, you go back to level 1, respawn, can relevel to 6 but now you’re restarting.

If the worry is pvp related, then make it more difficult to follow up a relevel with effective pvp.

I’d also suggest considering making this a “once per character” option. We could say this option in the fugue represents a character nearly losing themselves. A sort of trama enduced amnesia which a person could not survive twice. Again, limiting it in this manor prevents exploitation.

Just my 2c.

• To be honest if were aiming towards a more level 10 focus setting, deleveling to 6 to get a pvp "bonus" could backfire in the players face easy anyway. I vote having it as a fugue plane option.

• Strife, I am all for it being DM only. But as two of our active dms have stated that they are not to be bothered by the request, something else is needed.

IMO, I do not see an issue of people abusing it. And if they do, THAT is an entirely different issue. I see abuse of this, just as shifting items between characters, or any type of exploit in general. You cannot make a server exploit free, and those who abuse the trust should be punished.

• Also, just to be clear. YES, by using this, you should be sent back to level 6, with not a single exp above it. I know I would use it to fix shit, and I am nearly 8.

• It might be wise to consult the gods and learn why “back in the day” this was made into something the DM team is against?

The dudes usually got good reasons for this stuff.

@Forte , mighty loremaster of the realms, can you help us understand why the DMs back in the day ruled to no releveling without prc?

• @gruffman said in Delevel NPC in the fugue:

It might be wise to consult the gods and learn why “back in the day” this was made into something the DM team is against?

The dudes usually got good reasons for this stuff.

@Forte , mighty loremaster of the realms, can you help us understand why the DMs back in the day ruled to no releveling without prc?

Probably based around the metagaming aspects of relevelling to fix broken builds.

I'll be honest, I'm surprised it was offered at all but this is a different DM team, much more accommodating than v3.

• You have always been able to fix broken builds, just by dying. The only difference now, is that we have locked the first 6 levels, so as soon as you have taken them, there is no way to fix them.

• @o-louth said in Delevel NPC in the fugue:

You have always been able to fix broken builds, just by dying. The only difference now, is that we have locked the first 6 levels, so as soon as you have taken them, there is no way to fix them.

Also did. I believe another reason back then was to downsize DM micromanagement of the server.

I really doubt any DM had the inclination, back then, on top of monitoring hundreds (literally) of players to do relevel requests without extremely good reason (invalid domains, invalid feat, etc, since PrC mech requirements were enforced back then) for anybody who asked.

• I suggest this a good idea, but only able to do such in the first week of the character. It is easy to mess something up leveling six times to make a character.

Have it restricted to the first week playing gives a player a chance to fix it. Longer time than that is mostly due to finding they need something extra.

• @Zargen-of-Zandor restricting re-rolls to once per character would also limit this in a non arbitrary way.

It took me weeks and 3 conversations with various players to realize how I broke Esolen. Once I noticed, the next time I died down to lvl3, I fixed him.

If the idea is to not trouble DMs and also allow players to re roll without creating a fuss, once is enough. It also restricts the meta game aspects.

Keep in mind this could also be a good RP tool. If your character has a particularly troublesome experience with say, rats, perhaps a develops a hatred and you spend time hunting them. Now your paladin of Lathander needs a ranger level. Instead of bothering a DM, you just use your one time relevel.

• DMs

I don't see the abuse thing as an issue, because you'd be really low level.

The only way for this to be abusable, is if it takes very little time to get back up to the highest levels.
    Personally, I think it's actually essential for characters to be able to relevel from 1 to 6 at the least, because otherwise you only ever get to do that section of levelling once, and it's a very complicated set of levels where you get a bunch of options, especially if you consider multclassing.

My reasonsing for this is actually from several real situations in game in the past.

I REALLY like multiclassing. My builds are never very optimal because of it but that aside -

I had a character which I developed the skills and abilities of based on what they actually did within the game world.

At one point they learned from a fighter, and ended up taking a (couple?) level(s) of fighter due to this. This happened after one of the many, many, many deaths the character suffered at or above level 8, and a few times way below that...

Anyway, this isn't the only example, I had a ranger/wizard/fighter who added wizard levels early on due to occurences in game, as well as the fighter levels. He was originally planned as a pure ranger, but it didn't turn out like that.

If I had not been able to re-level these characters, and had already, say, taken all three of the multiclasses below level 6.... well, none of that really, really useful, and roleplay related development would have been possible.

I see zero drawbacks with this as long as you get dropped to the minimum server level when you do it. In fact, if it wasn't a total ball ache to try and do, I'd want you to be able to re-take your level 1 skills/feats/level as well, but that's just not practical.

• If you're under level 6 when you talk to the reaper of Jergal and respawn, he'll immediately level you back to 6 when you do respawn.

This means that if an option to delevel to 1 inside the fugue was granted, you'd respawn back at level 6 and be able to relevel.

• DMs

@chips said in Delevel NPC in the fugue:

If you're under level 6 when you talk to the reaper of Jergal and respawn, he'll immediately level you back to 6 when you do respawn.

This means that if an option to delevel to 1 inside the fugue was granted, you'd respawn back at level 6 and be able to relevel.

Yeah the tecnical side of it is minimal.