When Thinking About a New Concept (AKA The PC Questionnaire)
Mister Moosh last edited by
Myself and some buddies play a D&D campaign via Roll20 once every three weeks. I was thinking about characters and I remember this PC Questionnaire our DM sent us to try and get us to flesh out our characters more before we started the last campaign. He admitted that he stole most of the questions from the internet, but they really did help me flesh out a PC I love very much.
I've had a blast since coming back and figured that I would share with everyone here, on the off chance it helps someone with their next character concept.
Hope you enjoy. Cheers!
- What kind of stuff does your character enjoy doing?
- What kind of stuff drives and motivates your character?
- What do you see your character doing in a fight?
- How about in a social situation with potential allies (or enemies)?
- What is your character's general appearance?
- Tidy & clean or covered in stains from last Spring?
- What is your character's age?
- Where was your character born?
- Where do they live?
- Describe the character's family.
- Has the character ever done anything else (besides adventuring) for a living?
- When or how was the character educated?
- What are the character's political and religious beliefs?
- What is the character's moral code?
- Does your character have any prejudices?
- How would your character handle an insubordinate servant? (If they're a "wouldn't have servants" type, then an insubordinate hireling.)
- What would the character die for? What would they be willing to sacrifice the lives of their friends for?
- Who is the one person your character trusts the most?
- How would your characters parents describe him?
- What was the best moment of the characters life?
- What flaws does the character have?
- Are they quick to judge people? A slob?
- What advice would you give your character?
- Who are the 2 most important people in the character's life?
- What is the character's "big secret", and what will happen if it is discovered?
- "Hey, I've got an interesting job for you..." Name 3 jobs that your character might find interesting.
- How would the character want to go out?
- What would you consider a good end to a life well lived for this character?
- What might someone seeing the character for the first time think?
- Does the character have any goals currently?
- General goals in life?
- What is the character's personality?
- Any recurring mannerisms?
- What is this character's "thing"? That is, what action, activity, saying, motion, mannerism, etc., would be considered their "trademark", such that if I were to do it, others would say "oh, now you're acting like [this character]"?
- It's ok to have more than one, but they should be something that is exaggerated or strongly associated with your character.
- What is their first reaction to a situation?
- That is, do they run in, swords-a-swinging, or always attempt a peaceful parley, or examine every fact and mitigating circumstance in great detail before making a decision, etc.?
- What would be the ultimate magic item for this character?
- What would be the worst curse this character could ever receive?
- What special qualities does the character possess? NOT their PHB-skills, but what else can the character can do well?
- Do they get along well with other people?
- Are they skilled at taking care of business?
- Prioritizing tasks?
- Planning ahead?
- Are there certain things the character just cannot do? Get close to people; perceive themselves realistically, etc.
- That is, what do people who know this character well criticize about them?
- What does your character hate?
- What does your character love?
- How does the character perceive government?
- What about those who are opposed to the government?
- How did the character gain their abilities?
- What motivates them to act as a hero now?
- How did their peers treat the character as a child?
- Their elders?
- What does your character hope to accomplish by adventuring?
- Why is this goal more important than their safety? (i.e., Why would you take up adventuring, rather than being a nice, safe accountant?)
- What is the character's kryptonite? What is their weakness or what will paralyze them with fear?
- What does the character do to relax?
- What is in your characters's pockets, right now?
- What do they normally carry in their pockets that they don't have right now, but wish they did?
- What is the silliest thing your character has ever done?
- Any other notable aspects of your character, or anything else you'd like to add
WabbitSeason last edited by
This is awesome.
Gruffman last edited by
this is my favorite thing i've read this week. i'm printing it out...