Letter: Judge Johan - Additional Law: Tax Evasion
Please see the enclosed documentation on the upcoming Adventurer's Tax.
Within it is an explanation of a new law: Tax Evasion.
If there are no legal issues with this, please process the paperwork to see it added to the Book of Law ready for the tax's public announcement.
Adventurer's Tax Overview:
- The tax will be collected by the Militia and the Chancellor's Guard.
- Registered mercenary companies or debt collectors may be employed to lend the Militia manpower as deputies.
- The hiring of debt collectors and mercenaries from registered organisations will be managed by the Minister of Commerce and his assistant.
- Those tasked with collecting taxes will define an adventurer as an individual whose income largely consists of mercenary work.
- The tax is 500 Golden Lyons per week.
- Members of a Registered Organisation, the Chancellor's Council, the City Militia, and any noble house (excluding Bannermen) are exempt from the Adventurer's Tax.
Protocol on Collecting Tax:
- A Militiaman, Chancellor's Guard or deputised mercenary/debt collector, hereby known as the Taxman, will carry a Search Device.
- The Taxman may approach an Adventurer and request to see the current week's Tax Receipt.
- If the Adventurer does not have the current week's Tax Receipt, the Taxman will request a sum of 500 Golden Lyons.
- The Adventurer provides the Taxman with the requested amount and is given a unique dated Tax Receipt in return.
- The Tax Receipt can then be shown to a Taxman when requested to prove that they have paid the current week's Adventurer's Tax.
- All Golden Lyons acquired from the Adventurer's Tax will be delivered to the Chancellor's Council to be deposited into the city vaults.
- If the Adventurer claims to be unable to pay the tax, the Taxman will search the Adventurer for their coinpurse to ensure the truth.
- If the Adventurer does not have the funds to pay the tax they will be found guilty of Tax Evasion.
- If the Adventurer is found to be lying about their inability to pay the tax they will be found guilty of Tax Evasion and the severity will increase to Minor.
Once an adventurer pays their tax, a Taxman will write a unique code, the adventurer's name, and the day's date onto a piece of paper ((Use the paper, ink pot and quill found IG to make a real item)).
A copy of the receipt it made ((Written on the forums in the appropriate pinned topic)) and the original will be given to the adventurer as proof of their compliance with the law.
Each Tax Receipt expires after 7 full days.
If an adventurer refuses to pay their tax to a Taxman or provides a Tax Receipt that's expired for over a week, proving that they did not pay the prior week's tax, then they are found guilty of Tax Evasion.
Tax Evasion is a Petty Crime, unless the Adventurer has been caught purposefully evading the tax (i.e. lying about the inability to pay)
Members of a Registered Organisation, the Chancellor's Council, the City Militia, and any noble house (excluding Bannermen) are exempt from the Adventurer's Tax.
Any non-adventurer is exempt from the Adventurer's Tax.
~ Elodie Ledoux ~
Chancellor of Arabel
Sensate of the Succubus of Sensation
[A followup missive is sent, chasing the request after 24 hours.]
[The Chancellor chases this request again after another 2 days pass.]
I'll place a notice by the popular hang outs with this. I'll let the Militia handle the practical niceties.