Letter: Judge Johan - Law Change: Armed / Magical Assault on a Noble or War Wizard

• Honourable Judge,

The Chancellor's Council desire the Crown Court's approval of a change to the following law:

Armed / Magical Assault on a Noble or a War Wizard:
    The act of assaulting the nobility with a weapon, magical implement or spell is considered a Capital crime. This includes unlawful magical influence upon a noble. An assault on a landed noble's retainer could, at the noble's discretion, be construed as an assault on themselves. An assault on a retainer in this manner will be limited to fines as a punishment.

The above law will be edited to include the Chancellor and Ministers of the Council, as below:

Armed / Magical Assault on a Noble, Minister, War Wizard, or the Chancellor:
    The act of assaulting figures of authority with a weapon, magical implement or spell is considered a Capital crime. This includes unlawful magical influence upon a the figure of authority. An assault on a landed noble's retainer could, at the noble's discretion, be construed as an assault on themselves. An assault on a retainer in this manner will be limited to fines as a punishment. An assault on any other Councillor within the Chancellor's estate may be treated as an attack against the Chancellor at the Chancellor's discretion.

The reason should be more than obvious and this should be approved as swiftly as possible.

Warm thoughts,

~ Elodie Ledoux ~
    Chancellor of Arabel
    Sensate of the Succubus of Sensation

• DMs

These laws may be applied only within the city of Arabel itself, there would be certain legal challenges outside the city because the laws are at odds with aspects of Cormyr's legal system itself.

I would also encourage you to consider the premise of 'constructive interpretation' upon the law. Most legal scholars will not tolerate claims that an attack upon one individual can be said to construe an attack upon another individual to whom the first's fealty or service is sworn. One legal scholar pointed out that this would mean that any individual who punches a peasant in a barroom brawl has, in fact, swung their fist at the king himself and is now guilty of treason.

While the law can be applied within Arabel's environs; it may quickly fall apart if given to a judge of the realm. I shall proceed as you instruct.

Judge Johan

• @mr-moloch

Judge Johan,

I appreciate the advice and I think I'll heed it. The added protection for my Councillors isn't worth the invitation for mockeries of the law in the Courthouse.

Please amend the law to the below:

Armed / Magical Assault on a Noble, Minister, War Wizard, or the Chancellor:
    The act of assaulting figures of authority with a weapon, magical implement or spell is considered a Capital crime. This includes unlawful magical influence upon the figure of authority. An assault on a landed noble's retainer could, at the noble's discretion, be construed as an assault on themselves. An assault on a retainer in this manner will be limited to fines as a punishment.

As my Council and I govern Arabel and the rest of the North in Lord Hawklin's stead this edict should encompass the North and not just Arabel's streets.
    If it didn't do this, then our Courthouse would only be filled with cases of Treason, which is far messier and time consuming. After all, working against the Council has been deemed such by the Warden of the North even before I was granted the office of Chancellor.

~ Elodie Ledoux ~
    Chancellor of Arabel

• DMs

I am uncertain how you think you govern Lord Tammarast or Lord Winter's lands Chancellor; nor did Lord Hawlkin govern the Northern Marches, he served King Azoun V in administering these lands. I, shall, address these legal changes for you.

Judge Johan

• Judge,

Governing and administering share the same definition. Naturally I don't mean to impose on the lands of Lord Hawklin's peers, but I was lead to believe that Lord Hawklin "administered" more than the streets of Arabel as Warden of the North.

Thank you for processing the Councl's request.

~ Elodie Ledoux ~
    Chancellor of Arabel

• DMs

@fearmoho12 I see you are confused my Chancellor. Lord Warden of the Northern Marches and Chancellor of Arabel, are in fact, different titles. The Lord Warden of the Northern Marches is currently in Suzail, administering to the palace and has granted the Chancellor of Arabel his authorities and privileges over this city.

Judge Johan

• @mr-moloch

Thank you for the clarification. Lord Hawklin must have been incredibly busy as I was never educated on this fact by his self.

~ Elodie Ledoux ~
    Chancellor of Arabel