Stop Greater Animal Buff and regular buff from stacking

• It is simple; You should not with two spells, be able to throw 2d4+1 and 1d4+1 stats on the same person. It FUCKS up quest balances, and is just insane.

• I disagree with stopping them stacking.

I agree with making them way less easy to get hold of.

I was against them being alterations in the first place, unless they REQUIRED a reagent (which could be used to control commonality of the spells use)

These spells stacking is nice for things like, special craftable items that cost (insert resource here) to make/use.

They are bad if common.

• Then at least confirm that the spell is level 6, like it should be Zool? And not a lower level alteration?
    http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Greater_bull's_strength

• Oh it's lower level, another of the reasons I wanted them to require a reagent 🙂

• Part of the trouble with Spell alterations is we need to use (preferably) the same spell school, and HAVE to use a spell which uses the same (or a compatible) targetting method.

• @o-louth said in Stop Greater Animal Buff and regular buff from stacking:

Then at least confirm that the spell is level 6, like it should be Zool? And not a lower level alteration?
    http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Greater_bull's_strength

I'd be cool having them back at lvl 6, I'd cast them anyway. 😃
    Just sucks though when you roll a 3 on them.

• The problem is you need to often strip the other spell before you allow the new spell to take hold.
    Due to the nature of Alterations you cant strip the spells because it would also strip the base spell that can be used generally. This is less of a problem with Offensive/AOE spells but becomes major problem when the original base spell is a Defensive/Buff spell.

I thought I solved this case though, but it seems like its still happening. Could be just a matter of the target object that needs adjustment though as when I tested it I tested it on myself.

As for why the base spell is actually a lower Circle was because that was the requirement from the DM team at the time but I made sure to use a useful spell and require pretty rare and hard to get Reagents to off balance it.

• I thuoght I remembered you putting a stacking thing in for it (though I still think they should stack!)

I'd prefer these were either level 6, or required an expensive/rare reagent to cast at all.

My personal preference doesn't mean much though. 🙂

• They already don't stack.
    When casting bulls strength on someone with greater bulls strength, or endurance on someone with greater endurance it tells you that it won't stack and strips the spell you're trying to cast.

It gives you a message in the combat log saying that, for petes sake. So if it's not doing that, then I imagine that's a bug.

• I'm pretty confident that, while it doesn't stack that way, if you cast regular, then greater, it does stack.

• I mean, I don't have time to script it, but, unless Strife already tried this method, it can probably be done using spellID's which can be stored when a spell is cast.

It's how I did the dispelling stuff from armour/weapons thing. Bit of nwnx trickery if I remember rightly.

• @mrpenguin-phil said in Stop Greater Animal Buff and regular buff from stacking:

I'm pretty confident that, while it doesn't stack that way, if you cast regular, then greater, it does stack.

This is the case! Recently, I was affected by self-cast Endurance and Greater Endurance from an outside source. Got my Endurance very high!

• Well, as technically it shouldn't stack (apparently... grrr) then this is a bug.

And, technically, an exploit, as your getting around a bug using an unintended method to gain an advantage.

So I guess, report the bug, and, stop doing it....?

• Stacking Greater + Normal has always been a thing. That's the main reason people carry around Greater Endurance and Greater Grace potions - because it stacks with normal End + Grace potions. The chance at rolling a 7 over a 5 isn't that big - but two 3s stacking is already better than one 5 alone.

• Those greater potions shouldn't really just be lying aroung though, but... yeah, separate, massive, issue.

• Please stop these stacking. It ruins any challenge PvE brings and I honestly dread facing the engine of destruction that is a +12 to all stats Monk.

• Fellowship of the Guantlet

I support this suggestion

• Where do all these spells come from? Are they all from alterations? or are there a tonne of potions of them lying around on quests?

If it's alterations, it's probly easiest to just disable those alterations.

• There is the base spell as well as the alteration version which I assume was implemented to put it within CoA's level range.

The base spell however can be found in potion form on some quests.

I assume it's actually the same spell, because the bug seems to persist for the base nwn spell too.

• The potions cast what spell when used? Because I had made potions of Bull's Strength called Greater Bull's Strength potions that simply cast that spell at a higher level; that shouldn't have stacked.