Lycan's Curse

• @mr-moloch said in The App System - Proposed Changes:

@khamal Plus lycanthropy is suppose to be a curse, but there really is no drawback at all because no one acts like its a curse for the most part. That part always gets to me. Though its off-topic.

What can be done about this? Random attack people? Random shift during night time? NPCs KoS in civilized areas when morphed?

• I think automatically shifting under certain conditions and either fleeing or attacking would be terrific unless you're alignment is proper for your 'condition': LG werebears, CE werewolves, etc. But being a lycanthrope should come with a 'curse' that's why people are terrified of them for the most part and want to kill and destroy them. Werewolves and wererats are the most common lycanthropes, and they're both CE.

• Thing is, unwillingly attacking people would (1) cause faction bugs and (2) affect Shylock's / WSI interactions.

• Or just be more "strict" with players playing lycans? If they don't do it, give them a nudge. If they keep not doing it then it's time to play something else.

Joe Public should be scared of half dragons, tieflings and even aasimars due them being super weird, too.

This is why they should always have an app required to play them!

• Thats why lycan apps have trigger conditions. If the condition happens, you trigger, regardless of whats going on (within reason).

I think some people try to be too secretive, or they only shift during quests (which, in most cases, trigger conditions happen under great duress, battle, blood etc)

• @crystalrl said in Lycan's Curse:

Thing is, unwillingly attacking people would (1) cause faction bugs and (2) affect Shylock's / WSI interactions.

Not necessarily if it comes with previous emotes... that would allow a PC to hit the road or prepare for the worst.

• Rather than this being implemented in any way I believe a higher standard should be maintained for Infected Lycanthropes RP wise, as far as I am aware natural born Lycans would not have an issue with their transformation having had a lifetime to perfect their self control and wouldn't 'lose' it if not excessively taunted or intimidated.

A certain were-boar is doing very well in my opinion, losing self control and having freak outs.

• @smilingdog Well, a Natural born Lycan going against their nature, Such as a CG natural born werewolf, would begin to have issues.

• A CG werewolf should be as common as a CG drow, so I don't think that is much of an issue.

• I think the fact that I've seen an almost freshly created werebear with no reputation for goodness openly shift in the spire with no more than a raised eyebrow from the onlookers says a lot about Lycans.

Some of my fondest memories on Jalen, my werespider, are where I was logged out/booted during a rampage in old town that Echo set me on. And then when I logged back in I was sprawled naked in an alley with a bunch of players around me.

THAT is the Lycan experience. Losing yourself to the beast, having no idea ICly what you did or who you hurt.

I've seen a few people playing it very well recently, and a few more... not so well.

Having a Confusion like mechanic could be interesting, PC acctually loses control and attack people around them.
    Another potential, but probably bad, idea is letting DMs throw in Lycan NPCs with your name on it if you're offline. So you get people accusing you of attacks you have litterally no memory of.

• If it wouldn't be horribly buggy, what I'd do is when a PC is forced to shift by something; they get Cut Scened-we spawn in a new version of them as an NPC and it rampages away. When its 'killed' the Cut Scene ends, they're unconscious. DMs could even then posses them during the rampage, they'd attack allies, bystanders, and if their HP drops to a certain level or certain condition, they just flee the area.

AND in such a situation, it'd be great if the condition could spread too. People would be FAR more afraid of lycans if the curse spread.

• If you make it easy to spread, you also have to make it easy to cure, which tears away the lycanthropy aspect.

• @crystalrl said in Lycan's Curse:

If you make it easy to spread, you also have to make it easy to cure, which tears away the lycanthropy aspect.

I agree. If it is easy to spread, possibly you can add an NPC who, if you go to him in the 3 days of the full moon (or whatever day is appropriate if we don't have a lunar cycle), you can pay to have your curse removed.

• There's also a huge difference between born lycans and turned lycans.

Turned ones have much less and often no control over their shifting while to born ones, it is a natural thing they can control, often in every way

• Agreed. If you want a real fear of Lycans make it spread, and make it spread hard. Maybe add in a quest to get it cured instead of simply spend x gold and go on your way. Allow friends to come and help on the quest, make it a joint venture.

Add in Moloch's idea of forced shifting that's not actually controllable by the PC and BAM, there you go. Lycans are scarey ICly and OOCly.

• @citizenbane said in Lycan's Curse:

There's also a huge difference between born lycans and turned lycans.

Turned ones have much less and often no control over their shifting while to born ones, it is a natural thing they can control, often in every way

Yes, and we can reflect that in game! And be a LOT harder on the natural lycans vs the cursed ones since there is a huge power-differential in how they work in game.

• So, lets document what we are supposed to script?
    Bullet points approach, please.

• Admin [DM]

Turned Lycans

1. A list of trigger variables a DM assigns to them on creation. Various elemental damage types, being 'feared' or 'confused', things a script can detect and force a shift. A player needs to select these on creation. Maybe 2 mechanical triggers and 1 RP trigger (like being called a pig while being a wereboar).
    2. If the player turns willingly, they are alignment shifted if not already that shifted form.
    3. If they are force shifted, they are slapped with a special confusion that has them attack the closest Player if not there is no player, then it searches for a nearby NPC.

Both Lycans

1. It's an APPEARANCE change- thereby preserving item use and caster abilities.
    2. As lycan models are not dynamic, anything that players can normally see (ARMOR/CLOAK/HELMET/WEAPON/SHIELD) are forcefully unequipped. Ring/Boots/amulets can remain worn.
    3. Some sort of lycan only weapon are force equipped to represent their claw weapons that are given properties according to level.
    4. IF POSSIBLE Polaris floated the idea of applying Lycan DR based off the material of the weapon. So if a weapon has the Silver property (See, Material: Silver or equivalent) it automatically bypasses Lycan DR, otherwise, DR is FLAT (All lycans receive 10 flat DR unless confronted by a silver weapon, though we can easily just give Silver Weapons +10 dmg versus shapeshifter). OR we can just give all silver weapons 10 bonus dmg based off the weapon's base damage (so a flail would get +10 bludgeon dmg versus Shapeshifters)

Perhaps?

• Personaly, I'm not bought on the lycan being able to perserve anything but his feral abitilities, specially if he's an afflicted one. If we want that to happen, all we need to do is change the Polymorph.2da that handles lycan to say his properties of items merge into the skin/weapons.

There are 4 systems here to be looked upon.

Lycan Infection System

• Adding a property to lycan claws so they have special power ON HIT CAST: Unique Power which will then request a Fortitude Save vs Disease, DC 10 + Level/2;
    • Fail the save, you are afflicted with a special curse;
    • Immunity to disease renders you immune to being cursed;
    • If treated with Remove Curse, using belladona/nightshade as a reagent, within the first 24 hours IG or Until a Reset, disease is removed;
    • If not done, PC turns Lycan of the type he was infected with;

Lycan Crafting Chat - Pick Triggers

• Lycans can open the Crafting Chat and, the same way they pick crafting skills or emotes, they get to have an option where they can define which are their triggers from a pre selected list.
    • Until they don't select at least 2 triggers, ALL triggers will force them to change.

Lycans Losing Control

• Everytime one of the triggers happens
    • Until they don't select at least 2 triggers, ALL triggers will force them to change.
    • When changing, each attempt will have a Will Save DC 10 + number of the triggers that already happened since last change x 2.
    • So if I hit a trigger, first DC is 12. Next time, 14. then 16, 18, 20... so on.
    • Pass the trigger, nothing happens.
    • Fail the trigger, polymorph PC into Lycan form;
    • Create an NPC copy of that PC and teleport him away;
    • NPC copy of the PC will trigger DM messages so they can roleplay it;
    • No one dominated the PC, then Lycan loses it and starts killing people around, favourably PCs.
    • After 1d3+2 Hours IG, pc returns to where the lycan was last seen or some random wilderness area, naked, without memories of what happened.
    • If the lycan NPC is subdued or killed, the PC returns beaten down, naked on the floor.

Lycan's being hit only By Silver Property

• That can be done by adding uniquepower self to Silver weapons.

Everyone cool with that? Can start scripting it?

• Admin [DM]

@dms

Afflicted Lycans can maintain their polymorph, correct? The appearance change can work for Natural Lycans.