Half-Elf Changes

• So this was spurred on by this:

https://nodebb.cityofarabel.com/topic/38981/applications-an-alternative/

And I figured I’d throw some ideas out for half-elves in particular because it’s a particular favored racial type of mine despite how mechanically terrible it is. So, I’m going to pitch these ideas with an eye towards ELC 0 and actual roleplay requirements for some of them.

Not that I want to start saying you have to play a race a certain stereotypical way, but it’s just an idea:

+1 to charisma, automatic.
    +1 to other attribute of the player’s choice (could be handled via menu easily). Representing a wide range of talents/skills and backgrounds.
    +2 to all Social Skills
    Elven immunities/bonuses as normal (think it’s +1 vs mind, immunity to sleep, etc)

No bonus language at start. If you want to speak elven, you have to take it. I know canonically elven children have memories/language/culture bestowed by their mother, but it’s hard to tell where these half-elven children came from. It’d also require people wanting to play up the more elf-y side of their heritage something that those who don’t care wouldn’t get anyway.

Players then have to chose one trait/foible (easily done through a menu. Just have it give the PC an object like a player token in their inventory). It’d just be an icon offering some roleplay advice for the trait or foible they took. Since they’re supposed to be an unusual race, I don’t think expecting people to take a specific trait and roleplaying it is an unfair thing to ask for the boost they’d be getting.

Some ideas for traits/foibles might be stuff like:

Wary – Slow to trust, quick to spot faults in people. Someone who’s grown up and taught through hard experience that people don’t enjoy their presence for whatever reason.
    Naive – Quick to trust, often assumes people they speak to have their best (or at least mutual) interests.
    Poor improvisation – Raised among elves, this character has a quasi-elven mindset in which things needn’t be reacted to immediately. They’re slow to rise to action (outside of immediate life threatening danger) and often try to find the most considered solution to a problem. The good and bad of this should be fairly obvious.
    Well integrated – Adept at social situations, sagacious and quick to make friends among civilized (or barbaric) folk, however the same cannot be said of the opposite side of the coin and a well integrated individual will find social situations outside of their comfort zone to be distressing.
    Easily Absorbed – Whether by a quirk of heritage (Sun elven in particular) or as an escape from a world that ‘doesn’t understand’, this individual will loose themselves in projects or attempting to master something. They’ll seek out others to help them achieve their ends, but will seldom explain to their companions what it is they’re after because they ‘wouldn’t get it’.
    Human/Elf-scorned – Almost a trope by Faerun standards; this individual was or even is rejected by their parentage, giving them an innate distrust of one (or both) of their parent races.
    Inscrutable – Not to be confused with someone of low charisma, an inscrutable half-elf is just not quite readable to most people. They can come across as cold or distant, and often try to work through this by usually socially appropriate cues but for whatever reason just don’t quite stick the landing. This is usually related to age or upbringing. (Ophirae would be an example of this, I think.)

• No base race in the game that comes without an app should get bonus attribute points as far as I'm concerned. Every non-app race is either even or negative. Dwarf for example gets +2 CON but loses -2 CHA. Half-Orc +2 str, losing -2 int and cha.

If it just gets a +2 overall to a stat, it's in fact better in that regard than all the other base races.

If it's getting stuff, it needs to lose stuff too.

• Admin [DM]

Just so you know, I've wanted to redo half-elves for a long time, but never got good numbers for it. If that can be supplied and agreed upon, I will do it.

• Agree with @King-Dobby. With this change every bard and sorcerer would be a half elf no questions asked. Maybe -1 con and -1 of your choice?

• I see no problem with the original suggestion IF they also lose -2 elsewhere.

• That would work @MrFreeze

• Half elf needs something, most garbage race.

• Admin [DM]

I would really not suggest the whole + - to your choice thing.

It makes sense, and I'll do it if that's what is REALLY wanted, but it just leads to more script bloat due to another independent script needed for the checks, and we're trying to make a lean, mean module.

I'm not against it per say, but I'd like to hear ideas that don't involve that. If there aren't any, we'll discuss it.

• Half elf

+2 Cha
    -2 con

+2 Persuade, Bluff, Intimidate

Low light vision
    Immune to sleep
    +1 vs mind effecting

No elven language or weapon proficiency

It's a haven for bards and sorcerers which wouldn't hurt with a little bump.

• Admin [DM]

My idea is to just have them reflect elven parentage. They get half of everything elves get, and half of what humans get.

+1 dex/int/str/wis depending on moon/sun/wood/wild, -1 con

+1 extra skill point.

• My prior suggestion was +2 cha -2 con and slushie didn't like it. I don't really know what else you could do though.

• That sounds fine polaris.

• @polaris said in Half-Elf Changes:

My idea is to just have them reflect elven parentage. They get half of everything elves get, and half of what humans get.

+1 extra skill point.

Something like this could work. Would it be 1 extra skill point per level? (I forgot how human's level it's been a while)

• @mrfreeze said in Half-Elf Changes:

Half elf

+2 Cha
    -2 con

+2 Persuade, Bluff, Intimidate

Low light vision
    Immune to sleep
    +1 vs mind effecting

No elven language or weapon proficiency

It's a haven for bards and sorcerers which wouldn't hurt with a little bump.

This is good, but I say leave the language and proficiencies in too.

• @thetwistingwind said in Half-Elf Changes:

@polaris said in Half-Elf Changes:

+1 extra skill point.

Something like this could work. Would it be 1 extra skill point per level? (I forgot how human's level it's been a while)

Yup 1 extra a level. I'd rather see the extra feat than a skill point /lvl. Yeah it's a big boost but a +1 in an attribute gives you a boost prior to 8 but then only if you have +1 attribute gear or got an odd roll on Bulls cats etc

• Admin [DM]

Extra feat is not really possible though, without a pain in the ass script. I literally will have to give you a list of every feat and ask you to choose one through the crafting menu.

I ain't doing that, I could build an artificing system in that time, 😃

• @polaris

I realize more and more every day how sucky it must be to script this game and I haven't even scratched the surface. Jeebus

• @mrfreeze

Gotchya. Thanks!

Yeah, I think +1's a fair compromise-- you can still build around it and have it be part of your character without it being difficult to implement.

• @mrfreeze

Yeah, scripting with some of the hard coded features (like feats and stuff) is actually a pain in the ass. Even with NWNX from what I've heard.

• Did anything ever happen with this?