Quick Markdown Guide (The Syntax code for making text look fancy)

• Disambiguation:

Alright so, our old forums (which ran on phpbb) used a script called BB code for stuff like. Italic Bold and Both at the same time
    It'd look like [b]bold[/b] and [i]Italic[/i] essentially.

The new forums (which runs on nodebb) uses a script called markdown, it's actually a bit simpler to use but harder to learn sadly.
    Moreover, there aren't many buttons above the text box that apply markdown for you except for the most basic features, (and using those is how most people learned BB code!)

So I figured I'd make a post catered to explaining how to use some of the more useful and basic features, since most of the guides I've found suck, or explain features that are waaaay out there and not useful... Enjoy!

Disclaimer:

I'll have to put most of the markdown code examples in a fancy box that allows you to see what the code looks like.
    Otherwise when I try and show you the code, it'll just apply the code instead of letting you see it and you won't see what I'm talking about.

The boxes look like this and have weird coloring for the text, that's beyond my control.

If there's some weird coloring for words in there, that's beyond my control, it does that on its own lol.

Part 1: The suuuuper basics

Bold, Italic, Both, and Strikethrough

Example:
    Bold
    Italic
    Both
    Strikethrough

Italic: Is done by surrounding text with *
    *Like this*

Bold: Is done by surrounding text with **
    **Like This**

Bold and Italic: Is done by surrounding text with ***
    ***Like This***

Strikethrough: Is done by surrounding text with ~~
    ~~Like This~~

Hyperlinks, and Images
    Hyperlinks:
    To make a Hyperlink just put some [brackets] next to some (parenthese)
    Like so [text goes here](url goes here)

Do the same thing as you would for hyperlinks but put a ! first.
    Like so ![Not necessary to put anything here](url goes here)

Standard Bullet Point

Example:

• Point one
    • Point two
    To make bullet points, just put a * before each point, be sure to leave an extra space after the *.
    Like so:
    * Point one
    * Point two

Numbered Bullet Point

Example:

1. Point one
    2. Point two
    For Numbered Bullet Points just put the number you want followed by ) and a space.
    Like so:
    1) Point one
    2) Point two

Headers (Or: making text bigger and smaller!)

Example:

Largest

Larger

Large

Slightly Bigger

Relatively Normal
    Smaller
    To make a header and change the text size, just put a # infront of the text  you want to alter the size of.
    A single # makes for the biggest size possible, you can put up to six #'s next to each-other to alter its size to less large text,
    or even slightly smaller text!
    Like so:

# Largest
    ## Larger
    ### Large
    #### Slightly Bigger
    ##### Relatively Normal
    ###### Smaller

Part 2: The Basics

Blockquotes (Or: That fancy vertical bar thing)

Example:

This is a blockquote
    Our forums use these automatically when you try to use the quote feature
    Personally I like blockquotes, it does emphasize stuff well but I dislike using it for quotations, so if you prefer using boxes for quotations, scroll down a bit I've got a section covering that in part 2.
    But feel free to use these to emphasize some texts!

"To use blockquotes, every line of text needs to start with a > followed by a space. But paragraphs need only one >"
    Like so:
    > This is a blockquote
    > Our forums use these automatically when you try to use the quote feature
    > Personally I like blockquotes, it does emphasize stuff well but I dislike  using it for quotations, so if you prefer using boxes for quotations, scroll there will be a section covering that in part 3.
    > But feel free to use these to emphasize some texts!

Horizontal lines

Example:

Text

More Text

This one's pretty simple, just put a --- wherever you want a horizontal line, 
    just make sure to put a space above and below the --- or else it'll instead turn your text huge.
    Like so:

Text

---

More text

Blockblockquote (Or: Spoiler windows!)

Example:

To make a spoiler window
    You just put two >'s next to each-other
    In a blockquote
    But if there's not enough text being contained in the supposed spoiler window.
    It might not actually make one.
    And instead, just make two vertical lines and call it a day.

To make a spoiler window, just put two >'s next to each-other when making a 
     blockquote.
    It'll end up looking like >> and if enough text is put into that type of blockquote it'll end up turning into a spoiler window,
    containing all of the information you put in there.
    Like so:

>> To make a spoiler window
    >> You just put two >'s next to each-other
    >> In a blockquote
    >> But if there's not enough text being contained in the supposed spoiler window.
    >> It might not actually make one.
    >> And instead, just make two vertical lines and call it a day.

Color Syntax (The fancy code to make your text super colorful!)

Example:

Red Text
    Blue Text
    Green Text

To make colored text is simple, just press the button for it in the toolbar when making a post and pick a color from the color pallet (as in the illustration above). Ooooooor just put a  %(#000000)[Text goes here] in your post where you want colored text, modifying the numbers between the parenthese with hexadecimal code will colorize it. 
    Like so:

%(#ff0000)[Red Text]
    %(#0009ff)[Blue Text]
    %(#00870b)[Green Text]

https://i.imgur.com/cKbtJun.png
    Press that button for colored text.

Part 3: The not so basics but still useful.

Tables:

Example:

Person A Person B Person C
    3 points 4 points 2 points
    2nd Place 1st Place 3rd Place
    To make a table you first start making the first row, each column is separated by vertical bars like these |.
    "Then, in the space below that row you have to put a |:---:| for every column you put in above 
    (there has to be as many |:---:|'s as there are columns in the first row). 
    You only have to do this for the second row, and you can put as many more rows of normal text as you want afterwards"
    Like so:

|Person A|Person B|Person C|
    |:---:|:---:|:---:|
    |3 points|4 points|2 points|
    |2nd Place|1st Place|3rd Place|

Quotes for small paragraphs using tables: (Or: Using tables to make quotes that are in actual boxes)
    Note: Sadly this doesn't work for entire posts, only paragraph sized quotes. If you actually press the enter key while writing in a quote box (thus making a second paragraph), it'll make a second box under it.

Example:

@SpiffyHas said:
    Hey apple, you should totally make a post in general discussion about how to use markdown because I can't be assed to look this shit up myself and you've got too much free time and shit, thanks.
    "To make a fancy quote that's actually in a box, using the same code as with making tables above.
    Just make a single column instead of multiple ones and put all the text in the 2nd row.
    Like so:"

|@SpiffyHas Said:|
    |:---:|
    |Hey apple, you should totally make a post in general discussion about how to use markdown because I can't be assed to look this shit up myself and you've got too much free time and shit, thanks.|