Size of Arabel

• In v3 Arabel was nine areas. The DMs felt it divided the player base too much and made getting around take too long. We shrunk the city to two areas, it is three now. What preference do people have?

• Builder's Guild

I like everything condensed like it is now, you're more likely to know where people are.

• @mr-moloch

Smaller, definitely. Helps the community by forcing people to RP with each other. We already have a pretty small player base, IMO.

• I think if were moving into EE it might be good to have 5 areas.

Two lawless slum like areas like Old Town, a central hub of mercantalism and a nice big inn for the central quest launch pad and two side zones for faction HQ's and applicable garrisons.

• @smilingdog Why would this be nice? Could you expand a smidge?

• I like the idea of a lawless area away from Arabel, as it stands right now the "lawless area" is too close. Maybe make a town of scum and vilany away from every to make it a bit safer for Team Evil as Team Evil needs some serious love in this server.

But as to the size of Arabel, I like the three areas, although downtown needs some more love, #movehangoutspottothegrinninggoat

• v3 was great. You had a lawless area (Slums), ultra lawful area (Central), one not really lawful, but don't try any crap (NE), a lawful and if you try something, you're boned (south). Then you had the rest being varying degrees of heightened law/chaos but the others stood out for their outlined reasons.

I'd love to go back to a v3-class layout, personally. But I'm probably biased af towards it.

• Echoing a sentiment Moloch and I briefly discussed on Discord, I like the condensed version. However, to facilitate a greater separation of lawful/lawless zones, move the predominantly evil/lawless zone below the City into the ruins.

• I would suggest no more than four. With four, we could have a square style layout with different districts, different laws, etc and one central hub. We definitely don’t need more filler areas.

• Trim down the outlaying areas (woodland, Underdark) and just have a couple of well put together, richly populated areas.

I love the vibe / areas of fhe city we currently have, size and feel of it works well I think.

• I think we are talking about Arabel itself, not its surrounding areas. We had a lot in V3 I agree but the player base we larger, so it didn't seem as bad plus some of them are roads or connecting areas ( refer road poll ).

We currently have three, which was increased due to the splitting of North Arabel for reasons I will not go into here. I am happy with one really but it can be hard to manage and the map would I believe need to be on the larger size to fit it all in. Four would be too many for the reasons given and players base would be too split for RP.

It just depends if you want to reflect the cities true size or a scaled down version of it and what the setting is I guess.

@arkham-warlock said in Size of Arabel:

Echoing a sentiment Moloch and I briefly discussed on Discord, I like the condensed version. However, to facilitate a greater separation of lawful/lawless zones, move the predominantly evil/lawless zone below the City into the ruins

I did like that and your point on Old Town re Warden and WW/PD's. The ruins ( due to the changes down there )and sewers are a better option if you're looking to scale down and give that difference between area types and use.

• I think you need to do one of two.

1. Keep ARABEL small (2-3 areas MAX), with one central Hub, where most adventurers across alignments would hang out. I am thinking a real, proper Adventurers Tavern, where all in Arabel would go to hire adventurers / Mercenaries / Individuals with loose morals. But combine it with ALOT of exploration areas to go and adventure in.

2. Expand the city to become THE focus point of the server. I am talking cemetery areas, large parks, plenty of alleys, an encounter system when you entered the less patrolled areas of the city, merchant districts, noble districts. In short, you would turn all the exploration areas we have today, into a CITY focused server. As in, 100 areas +.

• Admin [DM]

I suppose we could make arabel smaller and just assume the city is much bigger than it actually is represented IG- since no adventurer has a reason to go into a residential district or a nobles district.

1-2 areas. Lawless areas below the city or in some other equally shady locale.

• Admin [DM]

@spiffymeister said in Size of Arabel:

I suppose we could make arabel smaller and just assume the city is much bigger than it actually is represented IG- since no adventurer has a reason to go into a residential district or a nobles district.

1-2 areas. Lawless areas below the city or in some other equally shady locale.

I like this the best as well, with "off screen" residental areas which DMs can use for events. That would be very nice! Currently running an event inside the city is a bit limited, since we have no off screen areas organically to speak of.

In regards of the lawless areas, I personally would prefer a outside settlement 1-2 areas away from Arabel which looks fine on the surface but is run by criminals. The ruins/sewers are cool, but for anyone not mechanically savvy it could be very risky to walk alone.

• Storyteller [DM]

In regards of the lawless areas, I personally would prefer a outside settlement 1-2 areas away from Arabel which looks fine on the surface but is run by criminals. The ruins/sewers are cool, but for anyone not mechanically savvy it could be very risky to walk alone.

the ruins are more or less clear of abberants these days anyway, why not have a thriving underworld underground there? the sewers then become the no mans land in the middle, allow a choice of starting spawns either in city or undercity and have some thematic quests for each place as lowbies ot allow them to acquire the tools necessary for their choice and ensure that there are drops that make the sewers less traumatic!

access to the "deeper ruins" could be then either through the undercity or via passages in the wilds/tunnels/haunt halls/etc that have been exposed and so mean that there is equal access to that region for all the treasure hunters/netherese/explorers/etc

• @cadiz_stoker If the min level is raised to 4 or 6, each area could have a starter quest.

• @joekickass Well, one thing is, if Arabel is the entire focus of the module--how long does that stay fresh and interesting before you know all the areas and all the NPCs again?

• @joekickass said in Size of Arabel:

My worry about the talk from the community is that everyone is fairly content with everything now, and we will end up with a v6 with no real changes and the same characters.

Well, I'm sure we can come to some kind of middle ground there, because it would SUCK to have the same thing, just, again, with a splash of paint.

I certainly wouldn't want that.

Which is kinda why we are having all these discussions, to figure out what things are essential to our community, and what things we can modify, and what entirely new things people may enjoy.

• Alright, for me the 5 zones 'nice thing' is more about 2 zones being relegated for faction bases and junk so that they are out of the way, not really area's people would normally go other than to go to those bases/ do quests in the area. The 3 arabel zones to me look way too jam packed with stuff so it looks ugly. I would want one central zone with the big tavern all the vanilla lads hang out at for quests, RP and general shenanigans with that district also being where all the shops and bazaar are at so that everything you need for adventure is in one place and is convenient for the non-criminals. As for the 2 area's I would like for the lawless area, not all evil people get along with each other and if there is only one Shylocks well; there's going to be blood but really as it stands all the evil groups basically have to make unrealistic alliances with each other or FD each other to exist in Old Town. If there were two zones, even if any necessary goods and shops were spread across both zones so you might get contention when you go shopping that would be way healthier for evil concents as there would be a feeling of 'Turf'. As is Old Town is really open and Good aligned people have no problem walking in, subduing a criminal and walking out and I feel it would be even worse if it was a sewer the baddies lived in. No one would roleplay not knowing their way around the sewer once they had been down there and explored it a couple times, well almost no one does that.

If the server hits its pop cap post EE, the 3 zones we got are going to feel incredibly cramped.

• Most likely a lot of old players will join. I remember the beginning of v5 where I saw a maxed CoA for the first time and only time. I think this time there'll be even more. I still wouldn't want the city to be any larger than 4 zones.