Roads?

• How important is a sense of travel on the module? Do we need more roads? Less roads and more boats, horses?

Do you want a sense of moving along a road or is a talk with a sailor or carriage driver or portal master who takes you where you want to go better?

In v5 we cut way back on roads because we figure walking is less fun than exploring areas. As we want to make areas even more fun and rewarding, what do we do with roads?

EDIT: Rephrasing the question after some discussion so its clearer.
    "HOW much walking, how many areas do you want to walk through to get to the quest/exploring you want to actually do?"

What I'm really asking about is how many areas do you want to walk through to get to the place you want to go; and how important is it to get a sense you've "traveled" distances - which is what I think people are talking about when they talk about 'road' areas.

• Less roads. The module already can't be accurate in travel time, IE going from Eveningstar to Arabel and vice versa should take considerably longer than 60-120 seconds.

Having some suspension of disbelief here would be great.

• Why not both? We can have the roads remain as exploration areas with hidden treasure areas - so there's actually a potential reward in taking the risk to travel - but also have quick travel options that mitigate risk, but incur a small cost instead.

• More roads, and add horses as transportation between cities/towns (especially for nobility). You no longer see players trying to ambush people on the roads. If there was only one main way into the city, say through the slums and then after that the outskirts, it'd provide for better platform for conflict when the bandit PCs could actually lie in wait at places they know people need to go through to get from A to B.

• I agree with Lord Bhaliir

• I do have to say, I am pretty confused about my own opinion on this.

On the one hand, travelling to places across just.. a road region, kinda is boring, but on the other hand, it means no one can really lie in wait, or set up scenes or events on areas tehy KNOW people will be crossing.

I... I kind of lean towards having some kind of road areas though, even though it hurts my design brain, just because of the cool ambushes and scenes I have laid, or been a party to in the past.

• I think there can still be direct paths without more empty map areas. Personally, I love the current size of the server, though I wish somehow everything still channeled out of Old Town.

• Less roads, or at least an easy way to skip them (I really like the boat travel we have from the Citadel docks for example, that’s a great addition)

• This is what has been happening, I will give an example

Eveningstar, is 'x' amount away from the City. You cant just walk there is in 2 sec. So when something happens out that way, player rush there for good or bad reasons, sometimes OOC. Then we had to put in a Northern road, a/ to show the distance traveled b/ to push other areas away from the city i.e. Helmlands c/ to give players the opportunity to catch players on the road, either to stop them or lay in wait for them. d/ to make the flow better between areas.

Is not perfect I know that but it was the best we could do at the time without making major changes.

And road are good exportation areas too, caves of the road and quests.

For me, I like the idea of a Travel system between landmarks/larger areas. A chance of an encounter, a traveling Merchant or something like that.

• @lord-bhaliir said in Roads?:

More roads, and add horses as transportation between cities/towns (especially for nobility). You no longer see players trying to ambush people on the roads. If there was only one main way into the city, say through the slums and then after that the outskirts, it'd provide for better platform for conflict when the bandit PCs could actually lie in wait at places they know people need to go through to get from A to B.

+1 to this.

Personally I love walking the road and the wilds exploring so I am in favor of roads to get between A to B.

• My only concern with the slums hosting the major thoroughfare in/out of Arabel is that it makes extremely little sense from a socioeconomic standpoint. If this is really the only major entry point, this also means that nobility, War Wizards, foreign diplomats, and other higher priority individuals will use this. It stands to reason that the local Crown forces would garrison that gateway. It would sort of be like putting gigantic walls around Los Angeles and funneling all traffic through there from Santa Monica. Absolute insanity.

I do understand the want for PC banditry as a possibility. As a compromise, maybe an abandoned wooden fort just beyond the more formal city garrison? Rickety enough that the Crown forces don't pay it much mind, but just enough cover to do something nefarious with it.

• I see two options.
    Id like better roads, so either we increase the road map... OR!

we could do something similar to NWN2 / Baldurs gate, where you can travel to somehwere, but there are risks of encounters. Depending on the danger of the road, the chances of encounters would increase. So a well traveled and patrolled road between Arabel and Eveningstar would have few encounters, while a road north to the mountains would have a high chance of encounters, perhaps even several.

The really cool thing, could then be that PC highwaymen, could activate a token, where they would have a chance of being an encounter. (In short, they would enter an area called (Road 1), which would then enter the pool of potential encounters, but with a MUCH higher potential.

That would mean, that highway men would have to actually WAIT, but instead of laying in wait on one road that may be less traveled, they would have the potential of waylaying ALL travellers, which would fit our smaller player base.

• As I see it roads are crucial in CoA because of multiple reasons. One it is needed for good rp. Two, when you are in a low player base timezone walking around and exploring areas is the only fun thing to do. And three what is the point of adding horses if you don't have roads to use them in?

• Admin [DM]

It's pretty hard to lay an ambush even as a DM these days, so I imagine it is near impossible for players. Not just PvP ambush, but "I want to join your group" ambush, or "I have planted plot clues on the road" ambush. etc. So personally, I would like roads inside exploration areas! So if you go off road, you can still find stuff.

• As long as there are secrets to find and interesting things to do in the areas it’s all good.

Massive big road areas for the sake of it are silly.

I am sure the DM team will bring the awesome with whatever is decided.

• @o-louth said in Roads?:

That would mean, that highway men would have to actually WAIT, but instead of laying in wait on one road that may be less traveled, they would have the potential of waylaying ALL travellers, which would fit our smaller player base.

This is a super cool idea. It might even be sweet to have the odd animal wander through this waiting zone, so the poor highwaymen can at least gather some skins/meat/etc.

• Or a chance for an NPC caravan to come through. Hells, only the imagination stops such an area from being fun. Purple Dragon patrols, A lone dispatch, the odd noble traveling, all manner of cool stuff.

• @o-louth

Imagination and... the scripting and balancing... yeah!

• Outskirts roads for exploration.

Fast travel between further away locals.

An arrival penalty is placed on you when you enter a distant area to show the exertion form the trip.
    Penalty can be mitigated or negated by hiring a method of transportation.

The penalty last only so long (or until resting) this will prevent people from mad dashing to event locations/may allow for the ambushing of exhausted travelers.

Further distances = bigger penalty.

Extra points - if @Mr-Moloch puts food in, maybe some grub can be travelers rations, and be a crafted method of lessening travel penalties.

• Roads + Shortcuts