Arabels Book of Law
Arabels Book of Law
As follows is a comprehensive list of the crimes, punishments, laws and rights that every member of the Arabel City Militia is required to know, every Retainer required to swear oath upon to permit their judicial duties, and every citizen encouraged to learn. The Militia are expected to exercise a level of discretion and prudence when executing their duties, and to interpret each possible crime with a mindset unfettered by passion or anger. Above all, these laws are written to protect the people of Arabel, not to terrorize them.
Let it be known that although the law shall never be as perfect as we need it to be, that we shall strive to make it as perfect as possible, under the eyes of the Gods, that we are as capable of as mortals. This document shall always be subject to revision and change, so as to ensure it is up to date and relevant.
The following crimes are considered gross and terrible offenses against public order, safety and trust. They are the most severe charges that can be levied, and apply to any noble or commoner without discretion.
! Attempted Murder:
If it can be proven that an armed assault was a premeditated attempt to have a victim murdered, then the charge is Attempted Murder. This is a Capital Offense. In the case of someone having been killed, and then raised, this is classed as attempted murder as there in no final forfeiture (Execution not sanctioned)
! Conspiracy against the Nobility:
Any conspiracy or plot to take the life of a noble is considered a Capital Crime. Note that the action does not necessarily have to be taken. If there is evidence that there was intention, this crime is valid.
! Impersonation of Authority:
Impersonating royalty, nobility, noble retainers, foreign diplomats, and peace officials is a Capital Crime. (Execution not sanctioned)
! Killing of a Cat:
Killing a domesticated cat is a capital crime in Cormyr, whether deliberate or accidental. (Limited to Fines)
! Menace to Society:
Repeated Serious Offenders can be brought to trial under the charge of being a Menace to Society. This charge is brought only when an offender has been arrested for repeated serious and capital crimes, and has shown an unrelenting fervor to continue disobeying the laws of Cormyr. (Execution not sanctioned)
If proven that someone is responsible for the murder of someone, accused is to be hunted down and captured. If those suspected of murder refuse to surrender, take subdual measures to apprehend them. All items will then be confiscated on arrest. Persons found to have contracted another are also to be arrested under the charge for Murder.
! Research of the Rift and Dangerous Phenomena:
Research of the Rift and any other strange phenomena deemed a possible horrendous threat to Arabel and Cormyr are capital crimes. They are not to be tampered with under any circumstances.
! Slave Trading:
Slave trading is highly illegal and will not be tolerated on Cormyrian Soil. Keep in mind that this does not apply to foreign embassies, though embassies will be made known of our position against slave trading. Foreign Slaves on Cormyrian soil have the same rights and expectations as commoners, and can be held accountable for crimes no matter the severity.
Making a pact with a supernatural entity is heresy against the Gods. A 'pact' is the transfer of unnatural power to a mortal by a powerful supernatural entity including, but not limited to; devils, demons, celestials (barring overwhelming evidence that such is the will of the Gods), fey creatures, the undead, aberrant creatures, and creatures borne from the Rift.
Any form of torture is considered a Capital Crime. Torture is defined as the sadistic and malicious inflicting of extreme pain or discomfort upon a person for any reason other than to lawfully apprehend them, inflicted in battle, or to enact corporeal punishment (if legally decided in trial or by a Judge) for heinous criminal activity. It may not be used as a method of deriving information from a criminal or innocent by any person.
Any domestic conspiracy, plot, or actions that are a direct attempt to overthrow the Crown is considered Treason. Working for a foreign power to spy, disrupt or undermine the interests of Cormyr is also treason. Acts that are deliberately engineered to direly threaten the interests of Cormyr and to undermine its power in the North can be construed as treason. Deliberate acts of unlawful sabotage against the King's Chancellor of Arabel can be construed as treasonous.
! Armed / Magical Assault on a Noble, Minister, War Wizard, or the Chancellor:
The act of assaulting figures of authority with a weapon, magical implement or spell is considered a Capital crime. This includes unlawful magical influence upon the figure of authority. An assault on a landed noble's retainer could, at the noble's discretion, be construed as an assault on themselves. An assault on a retainer in this manner will be limited to fines as a punishment.
The following crimes are considered serious offenses against public order, safety and trust. Though not quite as dire as the above offenses, these are to be countered with just as firm a hand; a criminal that engages in serious crime often is as bad as one who commits capital crimes.
Kidnapping or abduction of any sort is highly illegal. Those caught having abducted any citizens protected by the Laws of Cormyr will be dealt with harshly. As it is defined, abduction is the unlawful capture of any commoner or noble.
! Armed / Magical Assault:
Investigate why it is occurring if possible. Instigator will be arrested for serious crimes. If it is a sparring match (those that take place outside of a safe area for sparring, such as an arena) or unable to determine who started the fight, arrest both parties. If instigator is identified and defender proceeds to attack while peace officer is present, defender is to be arrested for serious crimes as well.
! Breaking Oaths:
Peace Officials are permitted to require witnesses to sign and agree to an oath of truth. To do so, the peace official must explain that should there be evidence that the witness has lied in his statement pertaining to a particular case, he will be charged with crimes against the city and Kingdom. A Peace Official or War Wizard, should be present during the Oath signing.The charge for violating the oath will vary depending on the degree of the violation, as well as the severity of the crime being investigated. Only in extreme and select circumstances, should the charge for breaking oaths be upgraded to Capital.
Defined as any attempt to pay in currency or any tangible asset to a government official, or peace official in order to gain their support for or secure negligence towards any illegal activity. Peace Officials who take bribes to either of these ends shall promptly be fined for a serious crime, and lose their badge on a repeat offense.
! Defiling the Dead:
Animation of the dead is illegal. In extreme cases, the sentences may be considered Capital. These cases include, but are not limited to: Raising undead minions from nobility, raising undead to assault the city, peace officers, nobility, etc. Defilement of the dead is also defined as any interaction made with an undead creature that does not eventually result in the destruction of said undead or the prompt fleeing from it. Certain rare exceptions may be made if the creature is conclusively deemed by Peace Officials to never be capable of threatening the common folk. Affecting 'deals' with undead such as liches or other grossly evil, intelligent undead will be considered as defilement. Having an undead creature in your company or retinue is considered defilement. To strive to become undead yourself is defilement.
! Undead creatures have no rights in the City of Arabel; they are protected by no laws and may be destroyed immediately if discovered.
! Drawing a Weapon on a Noble:
Drawing a weapon on a noble in threat to assault is considered a serious crime. Perpetrators are typically to be given a warning first to lower their arms, but the peace official is to use their discretion in neutralizing the threat, up to and including immediate apprehension.
! Looting the Fallen:
If a person's belongings are identified and to be returned to the next of kin or to the owner upon their return to the living, those belongings are protected by the Laws of Cormyr. Those who were not granted permission to gather the belongings by the owner and do so are to be arrested immediately. Peace Officials may also gather the belongings of the fallen if they deem necessary, in order to return to the fallen or their next of kin. (Limited to confiscation of property and fines)
Defiling a temple or shrine, disrupting legal religious ceremonies, defamation of High Priests is not tolerated. This includes any and all religions.
! Setting Traps:
Setting non lethal traps in the streets are considered to be assault with a weapon and therefore is a serious crime. Lethal traps can be interpreted as either assault with a weapon or Reckless Endangerment. In extreme cases, where murderous intent is evident, the charge can be capital.
! Summoning Demons or Devils:
Summoning Demonic or Devlish forces are illegal. Those caught leading or controlling demonic or devilish minions will be arrested immediately. In extreme cases, the sentences may be considered Capital. These cases usually include city assaults facilitated by the summoning of demons or devils. This does not include extra-planar creatures such as infernally tainted animals, but rather applies to powerful sentient extra-planar creatures that pose a serious risk to life and property. Those witnessed to be in the company of a demon or devil (and not busy destroying them, fleeing from them, etc) can be assumed to be under extreme suspicion of having made a Pact, and will be investigated as such.
! Unarmed Assault on a Noble or a War Wizard:
Unarmed assaults on nobles or War Wizards are considered serious crimes.
! Unlawful Magical Influence:
The use of spells to influence or manipulate another's actions is illegal and will be dealt with harshly.
! Use of illegal items:
The use of any item deemed illegal is grounds for immediate apprehension by peace officials. Provable, consistent use of bloodstones, bottled fey, infernal stones, and other grossly malicious and evil items can result in capital charges being levied.
! Possession of illegal items:
Possession of items declared illegal under the law is cause for a fine being levied. Multiple instances of this occurring will lead to arrest and interrogation.
! Sale of illegal items:
Possession of item declared illegal under the law with intent to traffick is cause for arrest. This may be elevated to a capital crime if the seller has a truly heinous quantity of these items.
Scrying without official permission from a Sergeant or Battlemage is deemed an illegal act. This will be elevated to capital crime if the scrying is done upon a peace official or nobility.
The following crimes are considered minor offenses against public order, safety and trust. These crimes are to be dealt with with a firm hand.
The intentional burning of private property is considered to be of higher severity than destruction of property. Those using fires to damage property will serve double jail time, and pay for any damages. Extremely severe cases of arson can range from serious to capital; its inclusion here represents the baseline severity.
Brawling is defined as unarmed assault against a commoner, usually occurring when passions are stirred up, typically in an alcoholic setting. These are to be broken up if they occur in proximity to other, uninvolved citizens. Assuming both sides seem 'invested' in the fight, it is to be directed to a sparring area to be settled with a warning levied. If one side is clearly harassed or feeling threatened by the unarmed assault, usually the attacker is to be fined. The harassed party can be assumed to be 'invested' in the fight if they provoked it through jibes or belittling comments.
! Evasion of a Peace Official:
The provable avoidance or evasion of a Peace Official attempting to interact with one suspected of a crime (this also includes fleeing from searches or questioning) will be charged with a minor crime in itself, if no other crime is proven. If a crime is proven, that crime will be elevated one higher in severity, up to serious. (Limited to fines)
! Religious Harassment:
Cormyr practices a neutral tolerance to any and all religious faiths. The law will protect any religious organization or individual that does not engage in illegal activity from any forms of harassment regarding faith. Harassment is here defined as excessive heckling and slander against a faith; a person expressing their opinion on a faith is NOT harassment until said opinion is shared to the detriment and belittlement of said faith. Peace Officials are encouraged to use their best judgement.
! Reckless Endangerment:
The act of bringing harm to another in an inadvertent fashion is considered Reckless Endangerment. Examples would be the act of fleeing from wild animals and drawing them into the city. Dueling in areas that could bring harm to bystanders is also considered reckless endangerment. Depending on the case, this will be either a minor or serious crime.
! Slander of a Noble:
Slandering a Noble House is considered a crime. The severity can range from petty to minor, depending on the degree of slander. Slander is defined as untruthful statements made in the effort to damage the reputation of another. Statements made with significant proof of truth are not slander.
!Slander of the City Council:
Slandering the City Council is considered a crime. The severity can range from petty to minor, depending on the degree of slander. Slander is defined as untruthful statements made in the effort to damage the reputation of another. Statements made with significant proof of truth are not slander.
Trespassing on private property is illegal. Offenders who refuse to leave on request will be arrested.
The following crimes are considered petty offenses against public order, safety and trust. These are to be dealt with with a firm hand, and can be mostly limited to fines or time in the stockades.
! Causing a Scene / Disturbing the Peace:
Causing a Scene or Disturbing the Peace is a crime. Should a peace official believe a person is causing a panic or an undesired scene (public drunkenness, etc) they are to be warned. If they refuse then they are to be arrested.
! Destruction of Property:
Destruction of any property, both public and private, is a petty offense. Fines can also be enforced in order to pay for the damages.
! Disturbing a Crime Scene:
The act of disturbing a Crime Scene is considered an obstruction of justice and any such actions will result in sentence depending on the severity of the obstruction. Moving bodies, hiding bodies, or removing belongings off of a subdued or killed suspect are all examples of disturbing the crime scene. Can be upgraded to Minor or Serious crimes depending on the situation.
! Drawn Weapons:
Citizens inside the city will not have weapons drawn. A warning will be issued first. Failure to comply will result in a petty crime. Magical staves held by mages are not considered drawn weapons unless the staff is proven to be a dangerous weapon in its own right.
! Failure to Comply with Official orders:
Failure to comply with any reasonable order from a Peace Officer is an offense. Reasonable orders include but are not limited to ceasing violent actions, search procedures, identification requests, helmet removal, and separation / departure from area.
! Noble Respect:
Commoners are expected to exhibit proper respect to all nobility. All citizens, nobility and otherwise, are expected to exhibit the same respect to royalty. Proper respect includes bowing when requested and making use of proper titles. Those who refuse will be punished accordingly.
! Prohibited Companions:
It is known that many adventurers take a liking to companionship, either with familiars, wild animals, or conjurations. Fey, birds, and domestic animals are not prohibited. Peace Officials will offer a warning before engaging said companion, and slaying it. The summoning of Undead and Demons is considered a greater crime. The person responsible for bringing the prohibited companion will also be arrested for petty crimes. Should a Peace Official order the removal of an approved companion at any time, the companion is to be taken out of the city.
! Slander of Peace Officials:
The act of intentionally defacing peace officials with untrue claims is illegal.
Theft requires proof that an item was stolen. Pickpocketing is a petty crime, stealing from noble estates / foreign soil can be upgraded to serious crimes at the discretion of the peace official. Theft of items of extreme significance, such as relics or artifacts, from commoners can also be upgraded in severity. For very extreme cases, the thief's possessions can be immediately confiscated, including cash. Recovered items are returned to victim. All others are confiscated.
! Unsolicited Magic Use:
Magic use is illegal, even if non-harmful, without the consent of the person it is being casted on. Spell-casters who wish to cast spells shall be advised to do so in more private areas as not to scare the citizens. Any harmful spells are charged under Magical Assault. Minor charges will be placed if the magic is unwelcomed by the target, and if it does not fall under magical assault charges. Casters who cast spells openly in the streets, whether on themselves or on willing targets, will be warned initially. Repeated use of magic in the streets will result in Petty Crimes. Some circumstances may supersede, and that is at the discretion of the officer. Such circumstances include, but are not limited to: Healing near death or badly wounded people, casting spells in a war zone in the city, etc.
While often considered a very minor nuisance, the practice of this nefarious inconsiderate act quickly made it find its way to the list of Petty Crimes. Littering details the throwing of any item on the ground, in a public area, and leaving such items unattended or unspoken for. While it is a petty crime a Peace Official may decide to charge fines per item littered, so two items left to litter the ground may result in a fine of up to 600 Lyons. Should a Litterer exhibits repeated offenses the fines can be elevated to higher severity.
Official Rights and Exemptions
- Nobility may draw weapons in the city
- Nobility may demand respect from the commonfolk
- Nobility may legally challenge others to duels of honor for insults against their House
- Nobles may pay fines to discharge any crime except capital crimes
- Nobles may also take responsibility for their retainers' crimes and pay fines to discharge them (except capital crimes)
- Cormyrean Nobles are exempt from petty crimes
- Cormyrean Nobles may ask for trials by combat to escape capital crimes, but only once. They may also name a champion for the trial if unwilling to enter combat themselves.
- Cormyrean Nobles above Knight status may refuse commands from the Lord of the North
- Nobility are exempt from searches by any peace official unless carrying written approval given to them by a Lieutenant of the Militia or the Lord Warden of the Militia.
! Noble Retainers
- Retainers of nobility may draw weapons in the city
- Retainers of nobility may legally challenge others to duels of honor for insults against their House. Failure to accept the duel shall result in a fine from the offending party who insulted the house under the crime of Slander. The Retainer may subject the offender to reasonable terms of combat, to be approved by a supervising member of rank.
- Retainers of nobility, assuming their noble patron is a landed noble of Arabel and/or the North, may take an oath by the lawbook of Arabel to act as a judge, prosecutor, or defense in a legal trial. Breaking this oath will constitute a serious crime.
- Retainers are exempt from searches by any peace official unless carrying written approval given to them by a Sergeant of the Militia or higher.
! High Priests
- High Priests may draw weapons in the city
- High Priests may pay fines to discharge any crime below capital crimes
! Peace Officials
- Only those given a Militia Badge may enact arrests.
- Deputies may be empowered to make arrests when supervised by those carrying Militia Badges or under written instruction from a peace official.
- One with a Militia badge or deputy helmet may search a suspect at any time they deem it necessary, assuming they have reasonable suspicion enough to do so; there is no such thing as a 'random search' except under martial law. If the offended party feels this was done in error or in excess of reasonable courtesy, they may lodge a complaint to the Militia Tower for review.
- Those in threat of arrest and/or fines, have the right to demand to see the Militia Badge under the Arabel Charter.
- Purple Dragons and Battlemages are considered peace officials, but cannot arrest citizens except under martial law.
- Purple Dragons and Battlemages may not be arrested or sentenced by the militia, only by the garrison commander. The only exception is if the militia possess an official warrant for the offending Officer signed by the Lord of the North.
- War Wizards are exempt from all charges brought against them, may arrest anyone, and may only be arrested by Alarphons.
- Embassies are considered foreign soil and that country's laws apply there
- No arrests are to be made on foreign soil without their permission
- Any diplomat accused of a crime less than Capital Crime has immunity from charges
- Diplomats accused of Capital Crimes can demand the right to remove themselves from Cormyr back to their own country permanently. This right can be superseded by a War Wizard.
- Foreign diplomats and dignitaries are exempt from searches by any peace official unless they are carrying written orders from a Lieutenant of the Militia or higher.
! Archmagus and Apprentice
- The City Archmage, currently the Archmage Kanthea will be granted leniency in regards to magical matters normally criminal in nature in deference to her expertise - the Lieutenant of the Arcane Branch of the Militia reserves the right to judge whether she is to have charges levied against her or not. As an example, she is permitted to study the aspects of Abyssalism, Infernalism and Necromancy, in addition to other more esoteric studies and fields. No Peace Official within Arabel is permitted to harass her in regards to these matters, unless to not do so would bring disaster. Peace Officials are stressed to use their best judgement, and be prepared to suffer the consequences of meddling in her affairs.
- The City Archmage Kanthea is immune to persecution regarding the Occult provisions.
Fines and Punishments
-Petty: 10% current gold + 200 gold or 2-5 stock time. Penal Legion not approved
-Minor: 15% current gold + 350 gold. Penal Legion for 1-3 days.
-Serious: 25% current gold + 1000 gold. Penal Legion for 1-3 weeks depending on severity.
-Capital: 50% current gold + 2000 gold (only for capital crimes limited to fines). Execution, No sentencing limitations on the Penal Legion.
**The Penal Legion Is no longer a death sentence, with actors within its ranks capable of being executed only after having been proved guilty of serious or capital crimes within its ranks.
- Bloodstones & Bleakstones
- Bottled Fairies
- Infernal or Abyssal objects
- Soul Manipulating Artefacts
- Spore Blight use
- Aberrant Items
- Magical parasites
! - Under Martial Law, the Military will assist local law enforcement
! - Desertion under Martial Law results in the execution of the Deserter. If any Peace Officer deserts his or her unit under Martial Law, the Commanding Officer has the authority to order his or her execution immediately.
! - Searches may be carried out at random upon any given person under Martial Law.
! - Failure to Comply with Peace Official's orders is elevated to a Serious Crime. Repeated offenses are deemed as Capital.
! - Insubordination under Martial Law can result in the arrest or execution of the insubordinate officer.
! - Martial Law grants Peace Officials immediate authority to conduct trials, make judgments, and carry out sentences at the time of witnessed crime. For example, a person found to murdering people under Martial Law can be immediately executed by a Peace Official. Peace Officials abusing this policy can still be suspended by their Divisions' Commander.
Amendment- Aiding Criminal acts and Abetting Criminals
! -The act of aiding and abetting criminals is a crime. The charge is always one decree lower than the severity of the worst crime committed by the culprit, thus ranging from petty to a serious crime.
This post is deleted!
This post is deleted!
Mr.Moloch last edited by
Privileges and Immunities of City Officials
Chancellor of Arabel:
- The Chancellor is immune to Petty and Minor crimes.
- The Chancellor may only be arrested with a warrant from Lord Hawklin or above.
- The Chancellor may only be searched while carrying written approval of the Warden of the Militia.
- The Chancellor may pay for any Serious charges to be dismissed.
- The Chancellor out-ranks all but Lord Hawklin, King Azoun V, and the War Wizards of Cormyr while operating in the North of Cormyr. The Chancellor will exercise this authority over the Warden of the Militia or Battlemaster of the Purple Dragons only to prevent a criminal offence or threat to the security of the North.
- The Chancellor may possess a Penal Legion execution/neutralisation device and may command the Penal Legion in an emergency.
- The Chancellor may command the Chancellor's Guard.
- The Chancellor may wield a weapon within city walls.
Minister of Defence:
- The Minister of Defence holds an honorary rank in the Militia to assist with liaising between the Council and Militia.
- The Minister of Defence answers to the Chancellor, however the Minister of Defence will defer to the judgement of the Warden of the Militia or Battlemaster of the King's Army in the Chancellor's absence provided there are no conflicts of interest.
- The approval of the Minister of Defence must be acquired for a ranking member of the Militia, Purple Dragons or Blue Dragons to be dismissed. Privates, Deputies and Blades are not protected by the Minister of Defence.
- The Minister of Defence is immune to all Petty and Minor crimes.
- The Minister of Defence may pay to have any Serious charges dismissed after being reviewed by the Chancellor of Arabel.
- The Minister of Defence may only be arrested with a warrant from the Chancellor of Arabel or above.
- The Minister of Defence may only be searched while carrying the written approval of a Lieutenant of the Militia or above.
- The Minister of Defence may possess a Penal Legion execution/neutralisation device and may command the Penal Legion in an emergency.
- The Minister of Defence may command the Chancellor's Guard.
Minister of Commerce:
- The Minister of Commerce and their assistant are immune to all Petty and Minor crimes.
- The Minister of Commerce and their assistant may pay to have any Serious charges dismissed after being reviewed by the Chancellor of Arabel.
- The Minister of Commerce and their assistant may only be arrested with a warrant from the Chancellor of Arabel or above.
- The Minister of Commerce and their assistant may only be searched while carrying the written approval of a Lieutenant of the Militia or above.
Minister of Culture:
- The Minister of Culture is immune to all Petty and Minor crimes.
- The Minister of Culture may pay to have any Serious charges dismissed after being reviewed by the Chancellor of Arabel.
- The Minister of Culture may only be arrested with a warrant from the Chancellor of Arabel or above.
- The Minister of Culture may only be searched while carrying the written approval of a Lieutenant of the Militia or above.
Minister of Magic:
- The Minister of Magic is immune to all Petty and Minor crimes.
- The Minister of Magic may pay to have any Serious charges dismissed after being reviewed by the Chancellor of Arabel.
- The Minister of Magic may only be arrested with a warrant from the Chancellor of Arabel or above.
- The Minister of Magic may only be searched while holding the written approval of a Lieutenant of the Militia or above.
- The Minister of Magic may provide permits for questionable magical research in the absence of the Militia's Arcane Division and will provide a copy of the permit to the Militia for documentation.
Council Court Judges:
- Council Court Judges may by invited by the Chancellor or a Crown Judge to preside over a trial for crimes of any severity.
- Council Court Judges may accept appeals for Petty or Minor crimes and request statements to aid in the investigation into the appeal before delivering a verdict on whether the law was carried out justly.
- Council Court Judges may pay to dismiss Petty or Minor crimes after being reviewed by the Chancellor of Arabel.
- Council Court Judges may only be arrested with a warrant from another member of the Council of Arabel, the Warden of the Militia or above.
- The Council Court Judges may only be searched while carrying the written approval of a Sergeant of the Militia or above.
Council Minute Taker:
- If the Council Minute Taker is arrested another Councillor will be notified immediately so that all confidential items may be retrieved by the Council.
- The Council Minute Taker may only be searched while carrying the written approval of another Councillor to protect confidentiality of Council files.
Master of Old Town:
- The Master of Old Town presides over Old Town and will attempt to keep order on the streets with the assistance of his Stormguard.
- The Stormguard are not peace officials.
- The Master of Old Town may write a letter of marquee on behalf of the Chancellor to give to the Stormguard. This letter of marquee is only valid for matters concerning Old Town (i.e. crimes committed in Old Town, criminals hiding in Old Town).
The Chancellor's Guard
- The Chancellor's Guard answer to the Chancellor. In the Chancellor's absence they answer to the Minister of Defence.
- The Chancellor's Guard may wield weapons openly in the North or in the Chancellor's company.
- The Chancellor's Guard may not be arrested without a warrant from the Chancellor.
- The Chancellor's Guard are permitted to utilise lethal force in defence of the Chancellor.
Mr.Moloch last edited by Prof. Misclick
This post is deleted!
Mushrooms are removed as contraband items as per the decree of Oversword Bhaliir.
New Amendment added per decree of the Chancellor of the Arabel Council, Lord Foril Bhaliir