Language improvement

• We were talking on irc.

Make it possible to pick up half a language, or perhaps even a fourth. It doesnt make sense to only know languages fluently, and would allow the none mages a chance to have more than one or two languages.

Give languages based on lvl as well. Perhaps at lvl 5 and lvl 10, you would be able to choose a new language. Or 6 or 12. That way, it would be based on experience.

Alternatively a mix of both. Say, pick up a a third part of a language everry three lvls or so?

It would make more sense for an experienced adventurer, say in Arabel, to have picked up a bit of orc, a few lines of netherese, and perhaps understand half of an elven language.

• I think it'd be great to give humans a bonus regional language as well for players who wish to to take that as their primary language in addition to common as per pnp forgotten realm

• Languages based on level? No.

• @AWESOMEMAN:

Languages based on level? No.

I think taking partial languages would be hard to do properly. And I agree with AWESOMEMAN on this one.

• DMs

It would be too much of a pain to do properly.
    The intent was always to keep it as simple as possible.

Your base intelligence bonus dictates your number of bonus languages.

As for characters from specific regions for which we have implemented tongues (or one of the more exotic languages that don't correspond to a region), drop us a very short paragraph justifying why your character should have access to it.
    Or even ask in game.
    Give us a good reason and we'll often just drop the widget on you there and then.

• Shouldn't charisma be a factor in language learning too? A character who has the personal perserverance and ability to bond with people of other races and cultures ought to have picked up a few extra tongues that way, as opposed to memorizing texts and tomes.

• Pretty sure Charisma is unrelated to personal perseverance. That might be more to do with Wisdom.

• Nah.
    Want to know more languages? Invest in INT.
    Experience on battleield little has to do with learning new language. Perhaps one experienced fighter with 10 INT - provided he fought extensively goblins - might a few words commonly used on the battlefield (and you might get that investing in Lore).
    You are a fighter with 11 int who passes lots of his time in the ruins under the city? You spend a lot of time in the library? Maybe when levelling from 7 to 8 you could put the additional point in INT and apply to learn a bit of Netherese (I would still rp it as being a little proficient in the language).

Charisma has nothing to do with knowing properly a language, it still gives you a bonus when trying to persuade and or bluff in that language but learning… no way.

Moreover and finally, if one char wants to know more languages than his INT allows I am sure an application could be sent to DM to be enabled to do so (not sure if it's doable but I assume it is).

• @StrawMan:

As for characters from specific regions for which we have implemented tongues (or one of the more exotic languages that don't correspond to a region), drop us a very short paragraph justifying why your character should have access to it.
    Or even ask in game.
    Give us a good reason and we'll often just drop the widget on you there and then.

• @Koririn:

@Strawman:

Or even ask in game.
    Give us a good reason and we'll often just drop the widget on you there and then

• Do what I do, my character makes books with lots of noticable words in languages. Such as "friend" in orcish so he can pick up on what a group of orcs are chatting about. Stuff like that.