Buffing Expectations (a rant)
khammy last edited by
Players of clerics and wizards should not be expected to buff and heal every party member. What I see is when a cleric is in the party, people suddenly don't have potions or consumables or kits and rely on the cleric/wizard to do it.
No. As a cleric player, I buff when I can, but also like to provide domain spells and support spells (restoration, prayer, inflict wounds, sound burst etc) and not have to be expected to prep 5 bulls strengths, 4 endurance, gobs of heal wands, and gobs of kits.
Then, when a party member dies, the cleric gets blamed for the death because they didn't buff enough or heal fast enough.
Buff and heal bots are nice, but boring to play. Makes fun for the fighters and barbarians in the group tho :P
One barkskin and one shield potion cost a total of 138 coin. It does wonders so maybe that poor cleric can actually enjoy killing them goblins and not have to hang back monitoring everyone's health.
I agree completely.
When I played a certain cleric of tempus, it's particular take was that of battlemedic / commander.
I memorized one bulls, two lesser restores, 1 Hammer-of-Gods and -everything- else was memorized heals.
If people didnt like it, they were told my job was keeping my troops alive, and the way I did that was by healing them.
if they didnt like it they could leave.
i find it rather absurd that usually people want the usual pattern of buffs to be done.
all the daamage boosts, bulls, etc to a couple "tanks". You want real benefits? instead of putting bulls on people who probably hit anyway, put catsgrace on the sneak attacking rogues. or bulls on flankers, so now instead of one tank moving from 65%hit to 75% hit, a 15% in damage… Put it on that other guy, moving his chance from 10% to 20%. a doubling of HIS chance to hurt.
Alice shadowhand last edited by
Play your cleric how you want too is my advice, how dare they order your gods will like a merchant! :wink:
Organized_Chaos last edited by
How about treat this as an IC misconception and deal with it IC'ly?
Play your character as you intend your character to be represented. If other characters expect things of yours that won't be provided. Deal with it accordingly.
Maruz last edited by
Make the PCs who wish the buffs you actually do prepare do a sacrifice/ritual/whatever, or pay for the privilege to be buffed. Or brew potions that you sell to them. Shouldn't take too long before the players learn you're not a buff bot.
CitizenBane last edited by
Dying will never be anyone's fault but the guy who dies or an unlucky crit.
Make people BEG your god for buff and then give them buffs… or not, all your choice. If someone has an ooc problem with your spell selection, to hell with them.
Zool last edited by
IC issue. Stop ranting Khamal! :)
Mr.Moloch last edited by
Well, its probably a little bit of an OOC problem, as it is annoying a player OOC.
The issue really comes down to "stop telling people how to play their character, or that they should play their character in a certain advantageous mechanical manner when all they want to do is just have fun."